SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2005 SL65 engine noise...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL65
2005 SL65 engine noise...

well, i've finally gotten about halfway through the factory warranty -- two years and 25,000 miles -- and finally have important questions.

the engine's been making an increasingly noticeable "tweeting" noise. it actually sounded more like clicking from a tread stone, and has morphed into this new sound.

i've been watching oil level closely because the thing has drunk maybe 1 quart every 2500 miles or so. since the last major service -- i don't recall how many miles back that was -- the oil level sensor has not requested any more.

the dealer cleans the car usually weekly, and when doing so, checks fluid and tire air pressure. i check them intermittently as well. other than a psi here and there, nothing's come up.

i asked that they add up to a quart of oil this past weekend, guessing that the oil sensor might not be sensing properly. they said they preferred not to do so unless the sensor called for it, due to warranty implications. they reinforced that the warranty is in full effect and that i should not be overly concerned. (i'm not, but i really don't wish to be overly inconvenienced by extended repairs that could be avoided.)

i recall something about the 3-valve engines becoming noisy over time, and recall something about one of my CLK engines becoming noisy as well.

please let me know if you have experience or diagnostic thoughts about this, and whether you know of any TSBs regarding this.

thank you,
dave

Last edited by david_101; 03-20-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
No one?

Originally Posted by david_101
well, i've finally gotten about halfway through the factory warranty -- two years and 25,000 miles -- and finally have important questions.

the engine's been making an increasingly noticeable "tweeting" noise. it actually sounded more like clicking from a tread stone, and has morphed into this new sound.

i've been watching oil level closely because the thing has drunk maybe 1 quart every 2500 miles or so. since the last major service -- i don't recall how many miles back that was -- the oil level sensor has not requested any more.

the dealer cleans the car usually weekly, and when doing so, checks fluid and tire air pressure. i check them intermittently as well. other than a psi here and there, nothing's come up.

i asked that they add up to a quart of oil this past weekend, guessing that the oil sensor might not be sensing properly. they said they preferred not to do so unless the sensor called for it, due to warranty implications. they reinforced that the warranty is in full effect and that i should not be overly concerned. (i'm not, but i really don't wish to be overly inconvenienced by extended repairs that could be avoided.)

i recall something about the 3-valve engines becoming noisy over time, and recall something about one of my CLK engines becoming noisy as well.

please let me know if you have experience or diagnostic thoughts about this, and whether you know of any TSBs regarding this.

thank you,
dave
Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
A tweeting or chirping that changes with RPM could be a noisy belt or pulley. Sewing machine valve noise is normal.