SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Sl55 Wheels And Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500 2003
Question Sl55 Wheels And Tires

I'M CONFUSED OVER THE TIRE AND WHEEL ISSUE. FOR US CARS I WAS TOLD BY MERCEDES THAT THE ONLY OPTIONS ARE THE 18 INCH 5 SPOKE AND TURBINE WHEELS. BOTH WHEELS HAVE NO OR VERY LITTLE RIM DISH.
ADDITIONALLY THE 03 HAS MUCH MORE HORSEPOWER THAN THE 02 SL55 MODEL. MERSEDES CANT TELL ME WHY.
AT AMG THEY ARE BUILDING CARS FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD WITH LARGER WHEELS AND TIRES. WHY NOT FOR THE US?

AT THIS POINT I CAN ONLY GUESS. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN EXPLANATION FROM MERCEDES?

NO DISH TELLS ME THAT THE 03 BRAKES, CALAPER AND ROTER, CLEARENCE REQUIRED THE SPOKES MOVE OUT TO THE EDGE OF THE WHEEL. SPACERS COULD BE USED BUT THE WHEEL MAY MOVE OUT PAST THE LEGAL US REQUIRED LIMIT. THE BODY WOULD THEN REQUIRE FENDER FLAIRS. IS THAT GOING TO BE A FUTURE UP DATE?

THE BOTTOM LINE IS I WANT A NICER WHEEL THAT BETTER INHANCES THE CARS STYLING. DEFINATELY WIDER FOR INCREASED DRY TRACTION AND POSSIBLY LARGER IN DIAMETER WITHOUT EFFICTING RIDE. THE ROADS IN AND AROUND PITTSBURGH ARN'T IN THE GREATEST STATE OF REPAIR. IF ANYONE CAN DO MERCEDES CAN!

CAN ANYONE CLEAR THINGS UP FOR ME OR TELL WHO AT MERCEDES CAN HELP.

MY CAR WILL BE DELIVERED IN LATE MARCH. I WOULD LIKE TO GET THE UPGRADED WHEELS FROM YHE FACTORY FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.

ADDITIONALY WHY CANT WE TAKE A EUROPEAN DELIVERY ON THE SL55'S? MY DEALER SAYS NO CAN DO.

IF I WERE BRITINY SPEAR I BET I COULD GET ANYTHING I WANT EVEN AN ALL PINK ONE WITH 19 INCH WHEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS

JIM
Old 12-03-2002, 08:06 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55
Re: Sl55 Wheels And Tires

Originally posted by nancijr

IF I WERE BRITINY SPEAR I BET I COULD GET ANYTHING I WANT EVEN AN ALL PINK ONE WITH 19 INCH WHEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS

JIM
I think she already did
Brittney's SL55
Old 12-04-2002, 10:33 AM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
do the larger wheels really make a difference for performance or is it more cosmetic
Old 12-04-2002, 11:42 AM

ML 500 Sport
To say larger wheels will give better performance is to miss understand the variables...there are too many factors to make a generalization.

But in the specific case of the 18" versus 19" on the SL55, all other things being equal, here are the trade offs:

Larger rims (19):
slightly greater wheel weight
shorter stiffer side walls, less side wall flex

Stiffer ride quality
Better cornering grip on smooth roads
less cornering grip on rough roads
Poorer off line acceleration grip
greater tendency for tramlining
more prone to road damage

Smaller rims (18):
Slightly less weight
taller side walls, more side wall flex

Softer ride quality
Less cornering grip on smooth roads
Better cornering grip on rough roads
Better off line acceleration grip
less tendency to tramline
less prone to road damage

My opinion is that choice has alot to do with what you want out of the car and the general quality of the roads you will be driving.

If you really love the looks of the 19" and live were there are wonderful smooth roads...go with the 19".

My choice living in the NE will be to definitely stick with the 18".

The other big consideration is that AMG has set the suspension to be optimized for 18" profile.

All things considered, you will not get better performance from the 19" unless you are on track and tweak the ABC settings.

Last edited by jco-amg; 12-04-2002 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:53 AM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
The car is set up for 18s so that is what i ordered, what is greater tendency for tramlining , never heard of tramlining
Old 12-04-2002, 11:57 AM

ML 500 Sport
Tramlining is the tendency for the car to follow any ruts in a road...wide low profile wheels and tires on an uneven road can be a real workout...and down right dangerous in the hands of a driver not expecting it. Can be a big problem changing lanes in the middle of a corner on a heavily traveled black-top feeway!