SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Why do People buy supercars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why you ask?

I drive a supercar because...... (r u ready?)

...it makes my *** look fast!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by EXECMALIBU
I have been around for just a few days and I (like Dino) have also owned and raced some of the worlds best "SUPER CARS" of their time. "I LOVE THE SMELL OF BURNING CASTOR OIL IN THE MORNING!" (you need to have been there to understand)

1. FERRARI 365 GBT/4 DAYTONA
2. 427 COBRA #CSX 3127
3. PORSCHE 550 SPYDER #550-054
4. 330GTS
5. 300SEL 6.3
6. VIPER
7. SL55
8. SL65
9. FERRARI DINO SPYDER
10. 300-400 OTHER EXOTICS OVER THE PAST 40 YEARS!

Unfortunatley for most people they ONLY get to read about "SUPER CARS" and look at the pictures/videos or maybe if you are lucky you will see them parked but most will never actually drive them at speed.

I ever since I was 7 years old (Go Karts) love to race "SUPER CARS" at full speed! My 427 COBRA with 500hp in a 2,200 lb car was not fast enough so I upgraded the engine.

The main reason for me was always SUPER PERFORMANCE! The accelleration and handling (the GGs)has ALWAYS been the main attraction plus the AMAZING STYLING and sounds are also a HUGE inspiration and why I love EXOTIC "SUPER CARS"

If you really want to experiance "SUPER CAR" NIRVANA try and get a ride in a FERRARI 365 GTB/4 SPYDER at speed! Then if possible get another V-12 FERRARI to cruise along side of you. The sounds, smells, feeling of a vintage "SUPER CAR" It dont get much better then this!

Or imagine a RACE (180 mph) between a 365GTB/4 and a 427 COBRA on a newly opened freeway.. I was driving the 427 COBRA!

My dream is to pilot a P-51 MUSTANG or a F4 Phantom or any other "SUPER JET" but unfortunately all I get to do is read about them and look at the pictures!
Spoken like an owner, driver and enthusiast!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Give me a ski mask and a gun ... I'm gonna rob a bank... Seriously.

I WANT TO BE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII CH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

right now...
Old 07-03-2008, 10:08 PM

2020 GTR Roadster, 2020 GT63S
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Spoken like an owner, driver and enthusiast!
+1

My wife could not understand why, when I had an E55 and now have an S63, I was not satisfied when I drove her SL500. I upgraded her to an SL550. That didn't do the trick, either. Only an AMG is an AMG. Now she drives an SL63 and she finally understands. The driving dynamics of an AMG (which I don't exactly consider "super cars), or any high end performance car, is just different. Once you drive one, you understand.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:58 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Doubt any group will ever agree on what defines a "supercar"....but agreeing upon a definition doesn't really matter....only definition that matters is one's own....

I tend to consider any car in terms of real-world perf/precision/safety/daily-useability to define a "supercar".....any monkey engineer can come up w/a car w/max theoretic perf on a dry, smooth private track (like Veyron/599/Scud/GT2, etc), esp if allowed to engineer mediocre or poor real-world safety/daily-useability/wet perf....

Based upon my driving impressions of various latest F/P/AMG, I consider CL63 030, CL65, S65 and SL63 030 to be today's only supercars.....

Interestingly, have several <40yo colleagues who first starting getting new F's back in their 20s.....in recent yrs, they've become young curmudgeons...they still get a new F and new AMG every 4-6mos, but seem to choose to drive their latest new CL63 030/SL63 030 90%+ of time, incl wkends.....alleged "supercars" like 599/Scud seem to have far less real-world appeal to many jaded, affluent youngsters, but far greater mystique to many cash/IQ-poor observors who may not have driven/owned such cars...and/or lack basic analytic skills and risk/reward judgment.....
Old 07-04-2008, 02:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Acez
Hmm i haven't got one, but i guess this is the answer.

"You don't buy supercars with your head, you buy them with your heart because you will love them, and who can explain love?"

Top Gear
J.Clarkson
+1
Old 07-04-2008, 02:13 PM

300E
Originally Posted by NY_SG
Is it to show that you got it?
Is it just to say you got it?
Is it just to say you made it?

I don't know really. Just wondering if anyone here thinks about it. I mean I have a friend that has couple and i asked why do you get it when i can buy a nissan gtr can beat it.

His answer is does it look like my cars. LOL hmm so I dont know really.

Hahaha many reasons i guess.
Its the First one...
Supercar can't really be driven on the street, its not comfy. Although it is a Monster in Power, but what can we do? speed up from 60mph to 120mph? thats about it, and it takes only few seconds to do it, then you either slow down or exit the freeway.
At first the loud exhaust sounded like music to my ears, now its a noise.

Bentley Continental GT, DB9, AMGs, BMW M3,M5,M6, Maserati Quatroporte, Granturismo, Skyline GTR, Those are cars we all can enjoy anytime its driven.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:29 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Mine isn't a supercar, but it did list for over $100K so it is expensive. I love the design of the new SL's.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 PM

No longer car shopping...
I haven't read most of these post and also don't think the SL comes ANYWHERE near qualifying as a "Super Car".

ANSWER to original poster... Part of the point of driving a supercar is the fact that you don't care what other people think? If it were me, it would be because it was a car I always wanted and enjoyed driving. Anything else would not really matter.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:23 AM

E46 M3
Originally Posted by ndabunka
Part of the point of driving a supercar is the fact that you don't care what other people think? If it were me, it would be because it was a car I always wanted and enjoyed driving. Anything else would not really matter.
I would consider the McLaren SLR to be a supercar, and there are plenty of hollywood skanks crashing them into telephone poles, which tells me these are cars that they didn't always want.

You can also consider Dubai's massive number of supercars. It seems that modified Lamborghinis there are as common as modded civics here, and that there's just not the same level of respect for supercars there as most other places.

I plan to eventually be at a point where I can buy a supercar (at least a used model), and at that point, it will be for the more common response here - the love of the car, and the driving experience.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Disagree with most posters here.
A CL/S/SL63, CL/S/SL65 are not supercars,not even close,they are just disposable transportation appliances,with fairly high price tags for the more affluent clientele but still just that ,appliances.
Their value keeps dropping to nothing, like every other car on the market that was made for the same purpose,that is :transportation.
They are like any high line kitchen appliances (Wolf,Viking ,etc).
They are made in thousands,certainly not limited production.
What makes a car a "supercar" IMHO,is extremely limited production,outstanding performance,uncompromised styling,high price tag and huge desirability factor.
Ability to offer "outstanding comfort,safety ,etc" does not have anything to do with being a "supercar".
For these ,you have your daily appliances (some better some worse),CL/S/SL being unquestionably the best .
Old 07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
There are lots of postings in lots of forums debating what is and is not a supercar. My personal take is that a car has to be engineered for ultimate performance, designed in an eye catching style, and produced in limited numbers to count. Tuner versions of mass produced vehicles don't count.

So by that definition, the only Mercedes supercar is the SLR. My modified SL55 doesn't count.

Back to the OP, some people buy supercars because they are collectors, e.g. Jay Leno. Other people buy them to make a public statement: look at me! Still others buy them because they like the way they look or perform. There's just no single reason that explains all buyers.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:37 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by absent
What makes a car a "supercar" IMHO,is extremely limited production,outstanding performance,uncompromised styling,high price tag and huge desirability factor.
Ability to offer "outstanding comfort,safety ,etc" does not have anything to do with being a "supercar".
For these ,you have your daily appliances (some better some worse),CL/S/SL being unquestionably the best .
100% correct (see my first post above). SL55/63/65 are just high end "standard cars". They may be considered supercars by some people... but to those who use SLs or P-cars as daily commuters, they are as far away from supercars as donuts are from haute cuisine.

Last edited by Sharkster; 07-09-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 PM

CL500 and ML55
Because they can?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:46 AM

SL55, ML500, GT3 RS, 997C2S
You buy a "super-car" because you want it and have the money to buy it. Performance and how a car drives are the only terms I can relate to when defining a "super-car". If an owner chooses to make it a garage queen then that is his/her choice. I choose to autox with the RS at least once a weekend and I prefer the C2S for track days. Both P cars have plenty of cone scuff marks too, the RS showing the marks a ton more as I hit more cones with the RS than wifey hits with the C2S. Both can be driven stinking fast at autox, but the true super-cars of autox are the Miatas, and older Vettes too.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 AM

CLS63, GLK350
You buy a supercar to complicate your life and give your life more stress and things to worry about. Now you wonder if the guy next to you in traffic thinks your a jerk or he is a car nut and thinks you are driving a neat car. When your not with it you worry someone is vandalizing it. You worry when it acts a little funny if your going to be out another several $KK. But sometimes you think about the beauty and pleasure it give you when you get to drive it. I am sure many of these stresses and concerns are proportional to the amount of $$$ you have in your bank account and how intouch you are with the world around you.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
You buy a supercar to complicate your life and give your life more stress and things to worry about. Now you wonder if the guy next to you in traffic thinks your a jerk or he is a car nut and thinks you are driving a neat car. When your not with it you worry someone is vandalizing it. You worry when it acts a little funny if your going to be out another several $KK. But sometimes you think about the beauty and pleasure it give you when you get to drive it. I am sure many of these stresses and concerns are proportional to the amount of $$$ you have in your bank account and how intouch you are with the world around you.
If you are worrying about having a supercar, then you really shouldn't have one, and probably can't afford it. Hell..... I used to take the F40 to the grocery store!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
If you are worrying about having a supercar, then you really shouldn't have one, and probably can't afford it. Hell..... I used to take the F40 to the grocery store!
+1. Having a "supercar" is not about worrying. It's all about drive, love, and Dino, come on..you know you get satisfaction when people look at that F40 at the grocery store and say wow! or neat!

I can understand the performance rush, most of us Benz owners (especially AMG owners gets it.) People that just drive a car from A to B, or don't care about what they drive never get it. They would be happy driving a Honda Accord, and not a new one at that. All the while they think people that drive nice rides (over 50K) are nuts for shelling money out like that. On the track of life, I want to go around a few times not just once. I think most on the forum do.

I love my Benz's, the CLS is my favorite. My wife is driving her today and I called and told her I am jealous. LOL.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:48 AM

CLS63, GLK350
I use to workout at a local Golds Gym in Springfield Missouri with one of the Orielly autoparts kids and he drove a different supercar to the gym everyday. I remember one day when he drove his F40 and parked it next to an old beatup pickup truck Springfield is a big town for supercars, a lot of the big exotic car dealers that sell all over the country are located there and it was not unusual to see F430's, GT3's, etc. parked at the gym throughout the day. I don't own a supercar just an 08 SL550 and I am still working on driving it and parking it places that I have no problem parking the Lexus. But the Lexus LX470 has tons of side molding and a step rail on both sides protecting from idiots that want to damage things they can only dream about owning. I guess your statement about being able to afford one applies but I think it more a matter to me of not wanting to have your stuff screwed up.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SL2003driver
I use to workout at a local Golds Gym in Springfield Missouri with one of the Orielly autoparts kids and he drove a different supercar to the gym everyday. I remember one day when he drove his F40 and parked it next to an old beatup pickup truck Springfield is a big town for supercars, a lot of the big exotic car dealers that sell all over the country are located there and it was not unusual to see F430's, GT3's, etc. parked at the gym throughout the day. I don't own a supercar just an 08 SL550 and I am still working on driving it and parking it places that I have no problem parking the Lexus. But the Lexus LX470 has tons of side molding and a step rail on both sides protecting from idiots that want to damage things they can only dream about owning. I guess your statement about being able to afford one applies but I think it more a matter to me of not wanting to have your stuff screwed up.
Don't get me wrong. I may take my cars anywhere I feel like going, but that doesn't mean that they don't get taken care of. I have worked very hard for what I have and I am definitely not into trashing my stuff.

I generally park fairly far away and I will sometimes cover my cars when I leave them. Not because I am worried, but I spend allot of time detailing my cars, and 30 seconds to throw a cover on saves me hours of work. I have had a few comments about being neurotic, but I could care less. I am just taking care of what I worked for... whether it's a Ferrari or an old Alfa. It fact the SL55 still looks, feels and smells like the day I took delivery. Maybe I am neurotic!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:27 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Maybe I am neurotic!
Not anymore then someone that had to work for their stuff versus someone who was given everything. I think that makes a big difference. I remember the first car I owned. My Dad and I got it out of the junk yard 1958 Thunderbird, did the body work, rebuilt the engine even redid the interior. The worst thing I see happen and I consider it child abuse is when rich parents give their kids a new car.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Like others have said..."supercars" have a very individual definintion. I think people have blurred the line between a "supercar" and "supercar-like performance". My CL65 has supercar-like performance (at least in a straight line) but it is not a supercar. I would list the following as supercars:

300SL, SLR, CLK-DTM AMG, new SL65 BS, Ford GT40, Ford GT, Ferrari 250LM, 250GTO, 250 Testa Rossa, Daytona, BB512, 599GTB, 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, FXX, Alfa 8C (1931-1938), BMW M1, Lamborghini Miura, Countach, Diablo, Murcielago, McLaren F1, Porsche 550RS Spyder, 904 Carrera GTS, 959, Carrera GT, Shelby 427 Cobra S/C, Pagani Zonda, Maserati 450S, MC-12, Bugatti Type 57, EB110 and Veyron, and Saleen S7.

I am sure I missed some...or some questionable calls...but these are what I think of when I hear the term supercars...and guess what... I would love to own each and everyone of them. I think of them as rolling mechanical, visual and aural art. I could care less if other people ever saw me with the car....

Tom
Old 07-13-2008, 12:32 AM

Tesla Roadster Sport
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Like others have said..."supercars" have a very individual definintion. I think people have blurred the line between a "supercar" and "supercar-like performance". My CL65 has supercar-like performance (at least in a straight line) but it is not a supercar. I would list the following as supercars:

300SL, SLR, CLK-DTM AMG, new SL65 BS, Ford GT40, Ford GT, Ferrari 250LM, 250GTO, 250 Testa Rossa, Daytona, BB512, 599GTB, 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, FXX, Alfa 8C (1931-1938), BMW M1, Lamborghini Miura, Countach, Diablo, Murcielago, McLaren F1, Porsche 550RS Spyder, 904 Carrera GTS, 959, Carrera GT, Shelby 427 Cobra S/C, Pagani Zonda, Maserati 450S, MC-12, Bugatti Type 57, EB110 and Veyron, and Saleen S7.

I am sure I missed some...or some questionable calls...but these are what I think of when I hear the term supercars...and guess what... I would love to own each and everyone of them. I think of them as rolling mechanical, visual and aural art. I could care less if other people ever saw me with the car....

Tom

Great Post
Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 PM

'12 E350 Coupe (3rd Benz)
MEDICALLY!

It's a part of my youth restoration therapy.

Most people buy them for the wrong reasons, yes.
Me, I love these cars, they make you feel like a little kid, that's the idea, Richard Hammond said the same. That's why they say Lambo is the best super car, its very childish and that's the point. In fact, I think MB made one of the best super car ever; http://www.supercars.net/cars/2225.html

Buy them to show off your money is the wrong reason, says 24 year old self-made rags to riches millionaire, ME.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:47 AM

SL55, Cayenne S, Tundra, 360 spider
As the owner of a few exotic cars I can say this.

I have always loved cars and have always spent insane amounts of money on cars.

I dislike the attention I get when out in an exotic car and for that reason don't drive them often. However that does not deter me from driving them. I always smile and say hi while people take pictures but truthfully I would prefer to be left alone.

I have met and become friends with people who I most likely would not have come in contact with if not for having a common interest, cars. These people I have met have helped me and I have helped them further our lives. It's like a fraternity.

I owe a great portion of my net worth to the friendships I have made through automobiles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Why do People buy supercars?