SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Third tail light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E63, 2018 AMG GT Convertible
Third tail light

The "third" tail light that sits in the trunk lid - is the red plastic replacable by itself, or do I have to get a whole new unit? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by Stricks
The "third" tail light that sits in the trunk lid - is the red plastic replacable by itself, or do I have to get a whole new unit? Thanks!
Nothing is that simple---replace only the plastic. You must buy the entire unit.. I replaced mine at a cost of approximately $200. I did the installation myself. It was tedious, required patience and really not that difficult. Count on some skinned up hands if you do it yourself.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 PM
htn

sl55
i started to do it myself,,,,,,,i open up the trunk, and don't know where the heck i would start at

Originally Posted by lkirchner
Nothing is that simple---replace only the plastic. You must buy the entire unit.. I replaced mine at a cost of approximately $200. I did the installation myself. It was tedious, required patience and really not that difficult. Count on some skinned up hands if you do it yourself.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by htn
i started to do it myself,,,,,,,i open up the trunk, and don't know where the heck i would start at
It is pretty easy. Reove the plastic trim that is around the trunk latch. I don't remember the size but it is a torq bit. Once this is off pop the under trunk liner off. It is attached at a number of points to the trunk lid. As you move around the liner you will be able to feel where it is attached. All that you have to do is pull the liner away from the trunk and it will pop loose. When this is done you will be able to feel where the light is. To make it easy on yourself there is a cable that runs close to the light. Remove the nut that holds the cable on to give yourself room to work. There are 2 10mm nuts that hold the light in. Remove them and then remove the bracket that keeps the light tight. You can then pull the old light out of the car. Do it from the ouside of the trunk, pull the light out, unplug the connectors, plug the connectors to the new light and reverse the steps to install the new light. I know it is less painful to take it to the dealer but doing it myself eliminates the the possibility of the dealer screwing up something else as they normally do.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:44 PM

SL600 190SL
First, I have a nearly new assembly removed from an SL600 w/6500 miles. It's yours for $95 plus shipping if you want it. MB box and all.

Also, to do the install, it's easier, I believe, to do as follows:

Start top lowering system until trunk lid is verticle. Then climb in rear trunk and unsnap the felt decklid liner. You don't need to remove anything, just pull it down enough to get a 10mm extended socket on the two retaining nuts. Pretty quick and easy.

PS: I've got the two rear tail lights for sale if anyone's interested.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:16 PM

07 ML63 Silver Dead at 85k, 14 RS5, 05 SL600
If you are replacing the third light you might consider getting the clear smoked AMG version. That and the smoked rear lights really update the rear end IMO.