SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL 63 AMG vs CLS 63 AMG vs C 63 AMG at track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 996 (300Hp) Powered Boxster/ Audi A6 Station Wagon
SL 63 AMG vs CLS 63 AMG vs C 63 AMG at track

Last week I´ve been at Estoril circuit for the AMG Driving Experirnce program. Almost all AMG 63 cars were there, and among others, I had the chance to drive on circuit the C, SL and CLS AMG 63 (SL 65 was not there ). Best on circuit was by far the SL 63 AMG on Sport + setting. The power this engine produces doesn´t take your breath away, but the V8 sound is just amazing. There´s a slight difference between the SL and all AMG cars on this regard, the SL has a louder and more pronounced NASCAR type of sound.
The CLS surprised me, car has a reasonable understeer for such big and heavy limo and kept his nose where you pointed during turn in. It was noticeble the diference on power between CLS 63 and C 63. Getting out of a turn with the CLS was faster then on the C and you could feel stronger bang in the back on the CLS. This happend because the C I drove was already with very, very worn tires and ESP was always getting in your way which cut most of the fun, otherwise the C would have impressed much more than it did. With ESP off, WOW, BIG power slides were easy to perform on every model and they all resist at two very hard days at the track being driven for more than 40 dif. guys, good work AMG.

At the end of the day, a lap with a pro test AMG driver was given around the circuit, and it was just amazing seeing how those guys with four adults inside the AMG, could make every turn, sliding the rear end, wonderful experience

On the very last lap of the day, a monitor with C 43 and four people inside, blown a tire, and the tire itself caused considerable damage to the rear quarter panel, which brought a yellow smile to the AMG manager of the event when the monitor excuse himself for the damage caused . This monitor while getting out of the box made some HUGE burn outs (60 meters sign on the tarmac ) and this may have caused damage the tires.

Wating for a friend of mine to sent me pics from the eventto post here.

J.Seven
Old 09-27-2008, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by J.Seven
Last week I´ve been at Estoril circuit for the AMG Driving Experirnce program. Almost all AMG 63 cars were there, and among others, I had the chance to drive on circuit the C, SL and CLS AMG 63 (SL 65 was not there ). Best on circuit was by far the SL 63 AMG on Sport + setting. The power this engine produces doesn´t take your breath away, but the V8 sound is just amazing. There´s a slight difference between the SL and all AMG cars on this regard, the SL has a louder and more pronounced NASCAR type of sound.
The CLS surprised me, car has a reasonable understeer for such big and heavy limo and kept his nose where you pointed during turn in. It was noticeble the diference on power between CLS 63 and C 63. Getting out of a turn with the CLS was faster then on the C and you could feel stronger bang in the back on the CLS. This happend because the C I drove was already with very, very worn tires and ESP was always getting in your way which cut most of the fun, otherwise the C would have impressed much more than it did. With ESP off, WOW, BIG power slides were easy to perform on every model and they all resist at two very hard days at the track being driven for more than 40 dif. guys, good work AMG.

At the end of the day, a lap with a pro test AMG driver was given around the circuit, and it was just amazing seeing how those guys with four adults inside the AMG, could make every turn, sliding the rear end, wonderful experience

On the very last lap of the day, a monitor with C 43 and four people inside, blown a tire, and the tire itself caused considerable damage to the rear quarter panel, which brought a yellow smile to the AMG manager of the event when the monitor excuse himself for the damage caused . This monitor while getting out of the box made some HUGE burn outs (60 meters sign on the tarmac ) and this may have caused damage the tires.

Wating for a friend of mine to sent me pics from the eventto post here.

J.Seven

CLS 63 is a very balanced benz..It will amaze for a 4400 lb sled. SL 63 sounds mean as hell , and it seems to maximize drivability. Its not a head snapper but it is smooth, controlled and refined. Sounds faster than the 65, SOUNDS