SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Input on this problem.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55
Input on this problem.....

Ok, so i've explained this to the dealer and they said they would do a ride along but after I explain you'll see why i can't really do a ride along

so the other weekend in my 04 sl55 i was running approximately 80 on open part of interstate connector where it dead ends, they are doing construction on a new interstate loop so lots of guys open their cars up through there. I stepped on it, car down shifted, took off like normal, hit approx 130 after it shifted back up and I let off, went down to 90ish and did it again, but this time when i stomped it it down shifted but once it hit that gear the engine started revving up, although not like a free rev but it was going up towards 7k but the car was not accellerating, so something was slipping, i assume the clutch. but the car does NOT do this from take off or at lower speeds. I haven't had the chance to go out and try this again but i assume the problem is still there.

I have extended warranty and they dealer said i'm good as far as coverage if its tranny or clutch but I guess i'm going to have to wait the problem out to see if it happens at lower speeds or whatnot

any input?
Old 11-27-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by drhodes
Ok, so i've explained this to the dealer and they said they would do a ride along but after I explain you'll see why i can't really do a ride along

so the other weekend in my 04 sl55 i was running approximately 80 on open part of interstate connector where it dead ends, they are doing construction on a new interstate loop so lots of guys open their cars up through there. I stepped on it, car down shifted, took off like normal, hit approx 130 after it shifted back up and I let off, went down to 90ish and did it again, but this time when i stomped it it down shifted but once it hit that gear the engine started revving up, although not like a free rev but it was going up towards 7k but the car was not accellerating, so something was slipping, i assume the clutch. but the car does NOT do this from take off or at lower speeds. I haven't had the chance to go out and try this again but i assume the problem is still there.

I have extended warranty and they dealer said i'm good as far as coverage if its tranny or clutch but I guess i'm going to have to wait the problem out to see if it happens at lower speeds or whatnot

any input?
What were the conditions? Did you have the ESP on?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Almost a Member!

sl55
Originally Posted by AMGSport
What were the conditions? Did you have the ESP on?
45 degrees F, flat open road, and yes the ESP was on

Its one of these things thats hard to just go do a "repeat performance" ya know

but it most definitely was slipping after it initiated that downshift, engine was revving and car wasn't pulling, I remember letting off and then stomping it again and same thing happened. I drove it 80+ miles home for T-giving today and back but never went over 85ish and didn't stomp on it at higher speeds and it drove fine, but something is definitely didn't function right on that high speed run
Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Almost a Member!

sl55
no other input?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
They didn't find any error codes when looking into the car with Star Diagnose?

And are you sure it wasn't the Intercooler pump that stopped working?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by drhodes
no other input?
Not much that will be helpful, I'm afraid. You might try duplicating the problem on a dyno and providing that info to the dealer. Dyno time isn't all that expensive and it avoids the issues of running at high speeds on public roads.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:55 PM

2002 Chevrolet Z06
I am new to MB's and probably WAY off but from what little I have read the Supercharger Pulley has a clutch in it to engage and disengage when say the IC pump goes out and starts to overheat. Sounds like it could be the pulley disengaged so you were just running on the motor which doesn't quite have the same grunt without the Supercharger. So it could be the clutch in the pulley and not in the tranny. Just an idea.