SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Increased rear tire width - will I have problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Increased rear tire width - will I have problems?

The biggest weak point of the car is the traction, and the inability to keep the back end under control. I was wondering if a marginal tire width increase, say from 285mm to 305/315mm would a) make any noticeable difference and b) also casue any problems. Keeping in mind that even with a 305 you would only have 1cm incrase in tire witdh on both the outside and inside, which would for most part look 'normal' and tasteful. Any experiences with wider tires sizes would be great.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:25 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6
Originally Posted by kwaobus
The biggest weak point of the car is the traction, and the inability to keep the back end under control. I was wondering if a marginal tire width increase, say from 285mm to 305/315mm would a) make any noticeable difference and b) also casue any problems. Keeping in mind that even with a 305 you would only have 1cm incrase in tire witdh on both the outside and inside, whihc would for most part look 'normal' and tasteful. Any experiences with wider tires sizes would be great.
How wide of a rim are you running in the rear? How much room do you have in the wheel wells for a wider tire? What kind of tires are you currently running? What do you use the car for(track, daily driver, etc)? All are huge factors in making the correct decision.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:31 PM

I am running the stock rims and would continue to run the stock rims. car is used for street usage only. It would seem that the inside and outside flare of the wheel well would have enough clearance, but the question is will I have any problems with the ABC which is specifically desgined with OEM rims and tires in mind.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:57 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6
I am running the stock rims and would continue to run the stock rims. car is used for street usage only. It would seem that the inside and outside flare of the wheel well would have enough clearance, but the question is will I have any problems with the ABC which is specifically desgined with OEM rims and tires in mind.
I'm not 100% sure how intrusive ABC is but generally as long as you keep the same OD(overal diameter) of the tire near OEM you won't have issues. Unfortunately all of the 65's I've worked on have had stock tires/rims so that's no help. If you HAVE to stay with OEM size you can always just throw on stickier(sp) tires that are made of "R compound". I was running Nitto 555R drag radials on my Charger for street tires and will be switching to Toyo T1R's(supposedly awesome traction for street tires)on my Crossfire as soon as I burn up the Conti SC2's.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
The biggest weak point of the car is the traction, and the inability to keep the back end under control. I was wondering if a marginal tire width increase, say from 285mm to 305/315mm would a) make any noticeable difference and b) also casue any problems. Keeping in mind that even with a 305 you would only have 1cm incrase in tire witdh on both the outside and inside, which would for most part look 'normal' and tasteful. Any experiences with wider tires sizes would be great.
I am running 295x30x19's on the rear of my SL55 on the same wheels that you have on your car. It will soon be time to replace the rear PS2's and I am thinking of going with 305's.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:45 PM

Taking your advice, I am going to go with 305, PS2, that should make a noticeable difference. I NEED TRACTION!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:15 PM

2011 G55
How about adding a rear differential to increase traction?