SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Tirefit vs. Houston Pothole

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally posted by blueSL
Turns out my SL55 is fitted with Pirelli P-Zero Rosso which are asymmetric but not directional.
Good to know...

I also have the Pirellis and am pleased to hear that they can be at least side swapped. On the CL I had a staggered setup with directional tires. No rotation possibility.

Since you can't go fast in the US, it's quite a waste to spend the money on Z or Y rated tires, especially when you can't rotate. You have slighty better handling, but also extremely short lifespan and a rough ride until the rubber is warm (especially in the cold midwest).

Btw, since I occasionally have to drive the car in the winter I put some winter tires on and they are surprisingly nice riding. Pirelli SnowSport 240. Who would have guessed...

Wolfman
Old 01-30-2003, 06:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Wolfman
Good to know...

I also have the Pirellis and am pleased to hear that they can be at least side swapped. On the CL I had a staggered setup with directional tires. No rotation possibility.

Since you can't go fast in the US, it's quite a waste to spend the money on Z or Y rated tires, especially when you can't rotate. You have slighty better handling, but also extremely short lifespan and a rough ride until the rubber is warm (especially in the cold midwest).

Btw, since I occasionally have to drive the car in the winter I put some winter tires on and they are surprisingly nice riding. Pirelli SnowSport 240. Who would have guessed...

Wolfman
what would be the best?

on our SL i'm not sure.. i'll take a better look but i know they are Continental.