SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55AMG Kleeman Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55AMG
Arnage

I don't want to make this a Bentley comparison post. I had a S430 when they first came out and liked it alot. I bought a year old Red Label Arnage in 2000. Wrote it off after 12 months going too fast round a corner and bought a new one in 2001.

The car has 400 Bhp and 650Lb Torque. It is still semi hand finished which means Leather and Wood on every interior surface and the engine signed and built by one technician. The car does NOT creak any more unlike some earlier Bentleys I have had. It is noisier than the Sclass at 100 mph and slightly firmer suspension (no air) but feels great - not unduly firm. Bentley service is something else, collection of the car, loaner, delivery back fully valeted and cost no more than the S430.

Driving you sit above most vehicles, with unlimited torque to get you any where. This is usable power instantly.

I would buy a Arnage T if I didn't have all the other cars (plenty of power in the SL55 as my main sports car). 0-60 in 5.5 seconds before chipping.

I know Mercedes have the S55, Maybach etc and they are great but the Arnage is still an amazing machine to own and drive. If you get the chance own one - when the new Bentley comes out it will be plasticised, and machine finished like all mass produced cars. It may be quicker and even better built but will it be a better car?. The Arnage is the last in the line of Bentley hand built super saloons. Every second hand car report on saloons recommends the Turbo R as the ultimate 2nd hand buy. Nothing to touch it at the price. The Arnage is far superior in every way.

As a personal aside when you drive a big Merc Saloon you have a certain image and some people don't like it. Driving the Arnage I am still surprised how traffic lets you out (never in the S430 in London!) and kids in run down areas make positive comments on the car 'cool wheels man'.

Very subjective and NOT meant to be a comparision but I hope the comments help.