SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL600 Weight of seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Extremely helpful! Thanks!

So you and Vadim were able to find suitable structural steel at shoulder level near the speakers. I'll have to go looking for that.

Thanks again for the info and would love to see pics when you get them. If I figure out anything additional that might be useful to the forum, I'll post it here.

P.s.

I presume these are the Evosport brackets that you mentioned: http://www.evosport.com/product/prod...VO.INT.BMW.SM1

If so, I can see both why you would use them in the first place and why you would want to upgrade to custom brackets.

Originally Posted by URnext
Since the last track event (Famoso), I have taken out my racing seats so I can redesign my seat bracket with a lightweight custom bracket (titanium), and I am also going to get my racing seats re upholstered to suede to match my interior. So I will post pics as soon as I get it done, probably in a month or so since I am really busy right now.

Basically what I did to solve the seat bracket problem, thanks to Jrcart, was I purchased EvoSports universal BMW seat bracket(they are pretty heavy). You will need alter the seat bracket with a drill so that the holes align properly to floor. You might also need to alter the holes on the seat bracket for the seat "slider" to bolt up properly.

This seat bracket is also where I bolted up two hooks, one on each side, for the seat belt harness (the bottom two of the 4 point harness).

Next, thanks to Vadim's crew, they made a custom plate bracket that bolts up directly behind the seat at shoulder level. Note it is very important the shoulder part of the seat belt bolts up at or near shoulder level for safety reasons to help avoid neck/spinal injury in a collision. We removed the vinyl cover and it bolted up right underneath the speakers. This custom plate bracket is where we bolted up the other two hooks to complete the 4 point harness.

Hope this helps guys, until I finish cleaning up my racing seat project and post up some pics.

Last edited by jmf003; 03-04-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
Very old post however I am about to do this mod and if URnext is still around it would be great to see some pictures of the harness bar and race seat setup, or anybody else for that matter.
The following users liked this post:
KMSAMG (03-28-2020)