SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Is it possible...

Old 04-17-2009, 12:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 E55, 07 SL65, 06 S4
Is it possible...

....to drive a performance car and be so ignorant?
I was pumping gas this morning minding my own business - or maybe was just pondering for a moment too long how gas prices have crept past the $2.50 mark again, when a guy stuck his head over to my side of the pump, commenting how incredible the SL looked, asked how much power it got and so on. He had no clue. When I turned around I noticed he drove an E60 M5, definitely one of my all time favored cars, which I told him and then asked, whether it had SMG? He confirmed and than asked - "does yours, too?" - What??
The guy had no clue about this SL and MB in general, which begs the question of how on earth one can drive a truly outstanding performance car and be so totally ignorant and blase about anything else 'performance' out there?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Maybe he's just really passionate about BMW/M cars (and apparently ONLY BMW/M's)?
Old 04-17-2009, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLS63, Honda Accord, 04 911
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
Maybe he's just really passionate about BMW/M cars (and apparently ONLY BMW/M's)?
Most likely yes and dont worry too much, as much as most of us here know what our cars compare to, some people may just be a "BMW" guy and thats it. They know a nice car when they see one, but nothing more to it...not everyone is as passionate as us.

ALso- what I see alot is some that are fortunate enough to just buy the top of the line car...just because its the most expensive in that model. They care less the branding, performance, and overall dynamics of the car, just want the best and thats it...

kinda like a trophy wife- they drive the most exp. out there just "because"...reminds me of Lindsay lohan- when she ran over a curb or something, on a flat of whatever took off on foot and left the car running IN A SL65...im sure she knows nothing about it, just wanted it...extreme example but point across.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Väth SL65 AMG. 2007 BMW Alpina B5s. 2007 BMW M6.
Yepp, it sounds in this case like a true and faithful BMW owner since he didn't even know the HP in your 65...
Or second, he was simply fishing around town for people to give him compliments on his (perhaps newly bought) car...
And the most logical way to get that, is of course to give just that to others first...

But most likely, it's a mix of the above! He was clueless, friendly and cred-seeking.
Because if you ask me, he sure should envy an SL65, big time!