SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Looking for a SL55, what do i need to know?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast
Looking for a SL55, what do i need to know?

Ah, the great interweb, source for all that carbage that spoils our youth and so on. But, by the looks of it, it seems i finaly found a place with ppl who i can relate to... As far as the brand of the cars go.
So jeah, hi, its my first post... Be gentle and sorry for my poor english.

Ever since i can remember, the members of this family have been driving the one and only. If im ever found on a Kia, i'd probobly been dead for quite some time. Now, its time to move to the big league...

If a person likes cabrios, fancy looks, muscle-cars and german cars, theres not a big market for it, sadly. But for my luck, there still is. Sadly tho, the prices for SL55, the very few that are in this godforsaken country are above 100k, yes, in euros. But where they make em, they cost less then half of that... Of course its not that easy and cheap, but still, theres a lot of savings to be made by doing some miles. And any excuse for going on a road-trip is a good excuse.

There were two cars to go for. SLK32 or the SL55.
SLK being light weight racer and cheaper, so a more easy everyday car that i can still take it to the track and go flat out... And not slow down the rest like with my beloved 230komp slk.
SL55 on the other hand being the ultimate luxory wagon with power to lead the pack at track-days. Saw one of these launch off at traffic lights next to me... I think it took few weeks to start dreams of something else then that.

Im starting to lean over towards the more heavy but more meaty SL, the toys arent a big part in cars, air-con is what i want, everything else is a good extra. Test-drove the cheapest SL a while back, not very fast that, but it did feel pretty nice as where the SLK felt like a cheap go-kart afterwards. It did leave that picture in my mind, "what if it had a helluva lot more bang under the hood?" And thats what im after.

So, im going to go look for a SL55, what do i need to know about them? Its going to be my first AMG, so im a bit new to this. Are there any known issues i should be a aware of? Any signs of trouble, things i should go for or things i should avoid? Any bit of help, be it small or not will help a lot.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55
THIS IS THE ONE!

Try to find a one owner, low mileage (under 25000) with some warranty left. I would also look for something without paint work and that has seen limited winter driving..... Check out This one on Ebay right now #300318286308. I just bought an 03 with 14000 miles on it. This is the car I WAS looking for! Super low miles with the hard to come by 030 performance package! If you are serious about your quest for an SL55 THIS ONE IS THE ONE!! Have fun and good luck!