SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Nightmare #2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
Put a concealed radar detector. I read somewhere that VA is the place where most speeding tickets are issued.

Since having my radar detector, I've been saved out of 100 speeding tickets, although I still get tickets for not using my turn signals, tinted windows, improper lane usage, illegal u-turns, etc. I got one of those reflector plates for my car, cuz I kept getting those tickets from the cameras for blowing stop lights.

I bought my radar detector the day after being arrested for reckless driving. Now I don't leave home without it, unless im on my bike... then I usually taunt the cop while doing a wheelie in front of him... I like to slow down to let him catch up if they want to chase.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, CL55, Range Rover, Lexus LX470
Originally Posted by Reckless
Put a concealed radar detector. I read somewhere that VA is the place where most speeding tickets are issued.

Since having my radar detector, I've been saved out of 100 speeding tickets, although I still get tickets for not using my turn signals, tinted windows, improper lane usage, illegal u-turns, etc. I got one of those reflector plates for my car, cuz I kept getting those tickets from the cameras for blowing stop lights.

I bought my radar detector the day after being arrested for reckless driving. Now I don't leave home without it, unless im on my bike... then I usually taunt the cop while doing a wheelie in front of him... I like to slow down to let him catch up if they want to chase.
You Got Ball's Bro, what type of radar detector do you have?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Valentine 1 is great, however, it is not easily concealed. I think AI design did develop a concealed mount for the SL that mounted on the rear shelf that covers the roof mechanism, and then they installed a concealed display in the rear view mirror. I think Passport also makes an integrated unit, but it is pretty expensive(almost as much as the ticket you just got). Also, consider a Laser Blinder system to protect against the very real threat that many LEOs are using now.

Nick
Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
I got the V1, nick hardwired it and mounted the concealed display in the middle of my dash (ive seen someone mount it right above the knee). But nick is right, not the most concealed design (I usually unplug it quickly when I get pulled over to stop the infernal beeping but the box remains visible on my dash, for the most part cops generally are to nervous to look that carefully inside, they are usually looking at me trying to size me up and my tints make everything look darker inside).

There is a Renntech kit I believe that costs a lot but hides it in the roof (similar to the AI design). Also, an expensive K40 kit that used to mount inside the grill of the car. I think they use a lot of laser in VA so you should buy the laser blinder jammer that mounts in the grill as well. They have some videos of it in action on youtube.

I do know that valentine one is supposed to be able to pick up radar soonest (from the farthest distance) and because of the speeds I am travelling I need all the time I can get to slow down.

Nick, I was of the opinion not many cops using lasers in illinois other than state troopers down south. My friends talked me out of buying that laser blinder kit. Let me know if you hear about tickets by laser. I do know that I pass by a lot of cops and the radar sometimes doesn't go off at all.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by charles pearson
No, Freedom is never free, thanks for your comment, at least you all respect soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Airmen. Cops really could care less. You know what the funny thing is, I look at them with disgust, not because I was wrong for speeding and got caught, but for their pompous and arrogant demeanor that they display.
Most of them are fat and out of shape, I want to walk up to them so bad just to inform them that they are not that important really, I possess a unique set of skills that far out weighs their competence level and use of discretion when dealing with the public here. If they want to impress me, know how to employ various weapon systems and conduct real world missions with Seal teams and Delta operators who are far more advanced than their pathetic butts are.
They should try foot marching over difficult terrain just to find, fix, and finish the enemy in Close Quarters Combat. Not all cops are like that, but these backyard country cops would not survive two days with my team during combat operations with minimal sleep and back to back ops in hostile territory.
They have nothing else better to do other than to patrol a 3 mile piece of terrain on I-85 and hammer those poor out of state drivers just to gain revenue for the county. I can't respect that, especially when they give me dirty looks when I'm in the SL, it's seems as if they want to race me and show me what their little American made Dodge Charger can do, as if I gave a flying F_ _ K. BTW Radar Detectors are illegal in VA.
It's even worse in LA LA land. If you can't deal with overweight cops, how about those red light cameras.

As far as excess speed, turn on the radar detector before hammering the pedal. Some cheap insurance.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by m_berman
It's even worse in LA LA land. If you can't deal with overweight cops, how about those red light cameras.

As far as excess speed, turn on the radar detector before hammering the pedal. Some cheap insurance.
Yes that is my newest threat now, but I do believe that we can blurr the vision of the cameras with a spray called "Hot Shot" I think that's what it's called, anyway the spray is supposed the make the plate glow so when pics are taken the plate can not be read easily. I am doing some real secret Squirrel research at the moment as far as laser diffusers and radar is concerned. K40, Valentine1, and the 9500ci. If I can afford to pay 2K for a ticket than I should invest at least that much in a defensive system.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55
I have a K40 installed in my SL... was thinking of doublemounting a V1 as well. Anyone know if they would cause interference with each other?
Old 08-28-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 Sport, 1995 SL320
radar/laser detectors and jammers can be a nice investment. before you dish out the money however, it may be worth it to check out theses guys:
http://www.radardetector.net/forums/

i'm pretty sure it's the biggest forum dedicated to just detectors and jammers, and i've found some good info there over the years... check it out, it might be worth it...

as far as the camera's go, Myth busters did an episode on that, and beleive it or not NOTHING worked to stop them, from the different sprays (like "Hot Shot") to the different covers/diffusers. i even had a really cool cover that shifted and blurred my license plate number from different angles. i took it off after the show proved it pointless (and i got threatened with a $500 ticket from an MD state trooper).

and that show was done a few years ago. over the past couple years, red light and speed cameras have become more and more sophisticated... you're a military man, so look at it this way, these cameras are built by lockheed and northrop (depending on the jurisdiction/municipality they're located in), the same defense contractors that build a lot of this country's military technology, fighter jet programs, etc, etc... do you really think they'd build a system that could easily be beat by a simple can of spay? lol

also, I'd be weary of running a concealed radar detector. i know for a fact virginia cops run some of the newest and most advanced radar detector detectors available... here's an "article" about them:
http://www.guysoflidar.com/spectre-4-in-virginia.html

And here's quick story... I lent my dad's friend my V1 for a road trip to Canada a couple weeks ago. he hid the V1 using and elaborate setup (since he lived in VA, and radar detectors are also illegal in Canada). he made the trip and loved the V1 (saved his *** a few times). on the way back, ironically only a few miles from his home he gets pulled over by a fairfax county, va cop. the cop walk up to his window and says "hand over your liscence, registration, and radar detector." so it's not just a myth, they're out there actively looking for them

and PS, sorry to hear about ur ticket bro... real bummer
Old 08-28-2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by E500 Benzo
radar/laser detectors and jammers can be a nice investment. before you dish out the money however, it may be worth it to check out theses guys:
http://www.radardetector.net/forums/

i'm pretty sure it's the biggest forum dedicated to just detectors and jammers, and i've found some good info there over the years... check it out, it might be worth it...

as far as the camera's go, Myth busters did an episode on that, and beleive it or not NOTHING worked to stop them, from the different sprays (like "Hot Shot") to the different covers/diffusers. i even had a really cool cover that shifted and blurred my license plate number from different angles. i took it off after the show proved it pointless (and i got threatened with a $500 ticket from an MD state trooper).

and that show was done a few years ago. over the past couple years, red light and speed cameras have become more and more sophisticated... you're a military man, so look at it this way, these cameras are built by lockheed and northrop (depending on the jurisdiction/municipality they're located in), the same defense contractors that build a lot of this country's military technology, fighter jet programs, etc, etc... do you really think they'd build a system that could easily be beat by a simple can of spay? lol

also, I'd be weary of running a concealed radar detector. i know for a fact virginia cops run some of the newest and most advanced radar detector detectors available... here's an "article" about them:
http://www.guysoflidar.com/spectre-4-in-virginia.html

And here's quick story... I lent my dad's friend my V1 for a road trip to Canada a couple weeks ago. he hid the V1 using and elaborate setup (since he lived in VA, and radar detectors are also illegal in Canada). he made the trip and loved the V1 (saved his *** a few times). on the way back, ironically only a few miles from his home he gets pulled over by a fairfax county, va cop. the cop walk up to his window and says "hand over your liscence, registration, and radar detector." so it's not just a myth, they're out there actively looking for them

and PS, sorry to hear about ur ticket bro... real bummer

Thanks for the intel, and I had no clue that those cameras were built by Lockheed Martin. Yes I do understand the technology that they invest in such a device, I just really knew that they were the ones designing them.