SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: WOULD LIKE TO UPGRADE BRAKES AND ROTORS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl 55 amg
WOULD LIKE TO UPGRADE BRAKES AND ROTORS

My mechanic told me that I will need new brakes and rotors. I am thinking about upgrading to a larger rotor,caliper,pad with stainless steel lines.
He assures me that 65 brakes will fit on my 55 both front and rear without a hitch. The car should stop on a dime. I am running 20's thats why I was thinking of the upgrade.
He quoted me $700O.OO complete.
Has anyone had this done?
How has it improved the stopping power?
Were there any issues afterward?
Thanks in advance for comments and input.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by mikesSL55fla
My mechanic told me that I will need new brakes and rotors. I am thinking about upgrading to a larger rotor,caliper,pad with stainless steel lines.
He assures me that 65 brakes will fit on my 55 both front and rear without a hitch. The car should stop on a dime. I am running 20's thats why I was thinking of the upgrade.

I'm still running the stock SL55 brakes so I don't have personal experience with any of your questions.

AMG brakes are made by Brembo but out of steel so they are relatively heavy. For a bit more money than the SL65 brake set you could install a set of aluminum Brembos. That would significantly reduce the unsprung mass in addition to increasing the swept area.

FWIW....
Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM

E60 dinan M5,E46 M3 track toy,209 CLK55 DD
Originally Posted by mikesSL55fla
I would go with the aftermarket ones for sure for every reason the above poster said. If you do change out the brakes message me what you want for the old one if you could
Old 07-02-2009, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Check out the Brembo Gran Turismo series upgrades... think better value for money than the 65 brakes, and as mentioned, lighter too.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by jmf003
I'm still running the stock SL55 brakes so I don't have personal experience with any of your questions.

AMG brakes are made by Brembo but out of steel so they are relatively heavy. For a bit more money than the SL65 brake set you could install a set of aluminum Brembos. That would significantly reduce the unsprung mass in addition to increasing the swept area.

FWIW....
Our calipers are (8-piston front, 4 piston rear) Aluminum and our factory rotors are steel 1 peice versus a potential upgrade to a 2 peice rotor which has an aluminum hat (an upgrade that will reduce unsprung weight), is this what you meant John? I wasn't sure weather you were refering to calipers or rotors or both when you mentioned steel vs. aluminum.