SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Ferrari Takes aim at the SL65?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O9 SL63, 08 Ferrari 612OTO, 08 Maserati Granturismo (SOLD), 07 CLS550 (SOLD), 07 SL55 (SOLD)
Ferrari Takes aim at the SL65?

I was at the Ferrari dealer today. The Sales Manager told me sales of the new California were brisk. He told me that Ferrari was trying to win back customers that had moved from Ferrari to the SL65, and Ferrari didn't like that. What do you guys think?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by gdhodge
I was at the Ferrari dealer today. The Sales Manager told me sales of the new California were brisk. He told me that Ferrari was trying to win back customers that had moved from Ferrari to the SL65, and Ferrari didn't like that. What do you guys think?
More like going after a new group of customers,since the existing core of Ferrari buyers dislike the California (at least significant majority of them).
Too soft,too easy,too feminine and the huge butt does not help either.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:30 PM

O9 SL63, 08 Ferrari 612OTO, 08 Maserati Granturismo (SOLD), 07 CLS550 (SOLD), 07 SL55 (SOLD)
Sounds like my kind of woman.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
The SL 65 and ANY Ferrari product are diametrically opposed by nature of the manufacturer IMO...

Furthermore, the California is hideous.

I would think the 65 is purchased by someone who wants something expensive but doesn't want it to look like it at first glance (obviously it's a Mercedes but I guarantee most people don't know it's 200K)...Go buy a California and try to hide the fact that you spent 200K...people will automatically assume it costs more than that based on historical prices - then you have to say, no, mine is cheaper than that...How does that make the owner feel when they have to try to rationalize the fact that their Ferrari is worth less than someone would think!?

Does that hurt the brand image at the end of the day - whether or not it has only a marginal impact? I think so.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 AM

2005 SL65
ferrari california...

every remark i've heard in conversation about the F-cali has been favorable.

now, i should qualify that none of the remarks were from serial F-car folks, who understandably would .have a different take on the car. ii's definitely is a turn in the road for F.

my GF is about to lemon her 650 rag. (to all the BMW lovers, allow me to apologize for saying it's truly a POS, unable to be kept on the road by service at three separate dealers.) she's got her eye on that F-cali. she's also eyeing the R8.

such tough choices...
Old 09-27-2009, 01:51 PM

i love it, i would take it in a second over my sl55
Old 09-27-2009, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
In my opinion the person who buys Ferrari is looking for something completely
different to someone who wants a SL65, different animals.
The only reason I would want a Ferrari is to pose in, nothing else!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:53 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Some 5+yrs ago, F was concerned that many repeat US buyers of then-new 360s were more addicted to their then-new SL55s of that era...much of logic of 599 was targeted at these repeat buyers in SiliconValley/BevHills who use these cars as daily commuter cars...thus, the 599

Ironically, heard that at the F dealer event to educate clueless salesguys re: CA, they only had a $150K SL63 as a comp for driving...a car w/a buggy MCT, no tq, and a plastic interior, but mysteriously had no '09 SL65 as a $200K comp vs the $225K safety and tq-free CA as a comp (and doubt DCT is any less buggy than MCT)

Know many repeat AMG/F buyers in SV/BH; don't know any getting a CA...most look fwd to comparing 458 vs SLS back-to-back in local mtn twisties, not a silly theoretic track in Podunk

Doubt 458 will win w/many jaded buyers who are addicted to safety, tq and daily-useability of latest AMGs on CA's fast urban fwys or mtn twisties

Suspect biggest competitor for SLS in jaded mkts like SV will be '11 S65 Coupe, not 458 nor GT2 v2.0.....easiest solution: have both SLS and S65 Coupe
Old 09-28-2009, 06:48 PM

Jag XKR
Originally Posted by sound 8
In my opinion the person who buys Ferrari is looking for something completely
different to someone who wants a SL65, different animals.
The only reason I would want a Ferrari is to pose in, nothing else!
How is buying a car like the F430, not even top of the line, which is an absolutely beautiful car in every angle with a pedigree better than Mercedes and a prestige far greater (Which is a trait on both an SL65 and a F430 or any Ferrari for that matter), gets 0-60 in 4.0s maybe under that, with an exhaust of great sound, "posing"? Posing as what?

Just my .02
Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by hdtv22
How is buying a car like the F430, not even top of the line, which is an absolutely beautiful car in every angle with a pedigree better than Mercedes and a prestige far greater (Which is a trait on both an SL65 and a F430 or any Ferrari for that matter), gets 0-60 in 4.0s maybe under that, with an exhaust of great sound, "posing"? Posing as what?

Just my .02
He simply meant to "look cool in," not in a bad way.

I'd take a 65 over a F-CA. Even an S65.

Last edited by Akademiks; 09-28-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WSH
Some 5+yrs ago, F was concerned that many repeat US buyers of then-new 360s were more addicted to their then-new SL55s of that era...much of logic of 599 was targeted at these repeat buyers in SiliconValley/BevHills who use these cars as daily commuter cars...thus, the 599

Ironically, heard that at the F dealer event to educate clueless salesguys re: CA, they only had a $150K SL63 as a comp for driving...a car w/a buggy MCT, no tq, and a plastic interior, but mysteriously had no '09 SL65 as a $200K comp vs the $225K safety and tq-free CA as a comp (and doubt DCT is any less buggy than MCT)

Know many repeat AMG/F buyers in SV/BH; don't know any getting a CA...most look fwd to comparing 458 vs SLS back-to-back in local mtn twisties, not a silly theoretic track in Podunk

Doubt 458 will win w/many jaded buyers who are addicted to safety, tq and daily-useability of latest AMGs on CA's fast urban fwys or mtn twisties

Suspect biggest competitor for SLS in jaded mkts like SV will be '11 S65 Coupe, not 458 nor GT2 v2.0.....easiest solution: have both SLS and S65 Coupe
You are ,as usual,full of it.
Creating 599 had nothing to do with providing a daily driver for Silicon Valley geeks,it was simply a replacement for the aging 550/575,nothing more,nothing less.
If "maximum safety" is so important for you ,then stay away from real sports cars and stick to heavy panzer like transportation appliances (no offense to anyone but that's what all sedans and 2 door disguised sedans in essence really are,from Audi through S/CL to Bentleys etc).
Don't worry about geeks lack of interest in 458s,real enthusiasts will stand in line to get them....
Old 09-29-2009, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Akademiks
He simply meant to "look cool in," not in a bad way.

I'd take a 65 over a F-CA. Even an S65.
Exactly, I would even park it up to see people look.
The 2 names that everyone knows is Ferrari and Rolls Royce, AMG is just
not as well known. However I don't care for the sound of a Ferrari a screaming
howl is not my idea of a good sounding exhaust, even if it is characteristic
of the car, I much prefer the MB rumble and throat noise. As for driving, I don't think I could get in one, and because I have a bad back the journey
would be short before pain took over. I still think a Mercedes is the best all round car, even if the Ferrari has more panache.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exactly, I would even park it up to see people look.
The 2 names that everyone knows is Ferrari and Rolls Royce, AMG is just
not as well known. However I don't care for the sound of a Ferrari a screaming
howl is not my idea of a good sounding exhaust, even if it is characteristic
of the car, I much prefer the MB rumble and throat noise. As for driving, I don't think I could get in one, and because I have a bad back the journey
would be short before pain took over. I still think a Mercedes is the best all round car, even if the Ferrari has more panache.
Two different cars,different purpose,comparing them is silly.
Btw,I have to deal with my bad back for over 30 years and I don't have any problem with the seats in any modern Ferraris.
Classics or cars from the 70s or 80s are undriveable for me though.
As far as California is concerned it is a total failure and bad for the Ferrari philosophy, IMO.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by absent
You are ,as usual,full of it.
Creating 599 had nothing to do with providing a daily driver for Silicon Valley geeks,it was simply a replacement for the aging 550/575,nothing more,nothing less.
If "maximum safety" is so important for you ,then stay away from real sports cars and stick to heavy panzer like transportation appliances (no offense to anyone but that's what all sedans and 2 door disguised sedans in essence really are,from Audi through S/CL to Bentleys etc).
Don't worry about geeks lack of interest in 458s,real enthusiasts will stand in line to get them....
+1000

Tom
Old 09-29-2009, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by absent
Two different cars,different purpose,comparing them is silly.
Btw,I have to deal with my bad back for over 30 years and I don't have any problem with the seats in any modern Ferraris.
Classics or cars from the 70s or 80s are undriveable for me though.
As far as California is concerned it is a total failure and bad for the Ferrari philosophy, IMO.
Why is comparing them silly, if you have got 150k burning a hole in your pocket the a SL65 and a Ferrari is buy able. I am sure the seats are fine, but I was talking about the suspension, the Porsche 997 Turbo I drove on the
softest setting was way to hard for my back, I imagine a Ferrari will be even
firmer. The last Ferrari I drove was a 355, couldn't live with it for a second.
From the boom inside the cabin, several vibrations and rock hard ride.
Great for track days, I want something for every day and long journey use.
So I guess you buy them for different reasons, but surely you must consider all so called sports cars in the price bracket your aiming at.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why is comparing them silly, if you have got 150k burning a hole in your pocket the a SL65 and a Ferrari is buy able. I am sure the seats are fine, but I was talking about the suspension, the Porsche 997 Turbo I drove on the
softest setting was way to hard for my back, I imagine a Ferrari will be even
firmer. The last Ferrari I drove was a 355, couldn't live with it for a second.
From the boom inside the cabin, several vibrations and rock hard ride.
Great for track days, I want something for every day and long journey use.
So I guess you buy them for different reasons, but surely you must consider all so called sports cars in the price bracket your aiming at.
You are right about suspension which can get pretty harsh on bad surfaces,especially 360CS which was best for track only.
The touring cars ,like 599 and 612 are very comfortable (relatively) but not to MB standards of course.