SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: MB Technical Forum Latest - No Date for DVD Sat Nav

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
MB Technical Forum Latest - No Date for DVD Sat Nav

At the MB Technical Forum in the UK yesterday, some of the MB people were refreshingly open about future plans and timescales. Not much news on the SL front (day mainly focussed on the new E class and S/CL updates) but when the talk turned to DVD navigation, we were told it's in the new E, will be available in the S later in the year but there is no confirmed date for the SL yet. The view is apparently that the SL is so much in demand that they have to focus on meeting the demand rather than tinker with the product - at least for now.

A dealer representative told me that the waiting time for the SL600 is now longer in the UK than that for the SL55; the numbers are smaller (80 cars this year in the UK) but there's been a lot of interest. Why buy an ageing Ferrari 456 when you can buy an SL600 AND an SL500 for your girl-friend? It also seems high unlikely there will be a diesel SL - sales of diesel cars in Europe are exploding because of the gas mileage they achieve but apparently a CLK cabriolet diesel was abandoned because of the smell of the exhaust with the roof down.

It's clear the SL remains the technological show-case of the range. It's the only car which has both SBC and ABC; other cars have SBC (E Class) or ABC (face-lifted CL) but only the SL has both. Interestingly, technology is not seen as a significant force in the S Class which has neither, even in face-lifted form. S Class owners are apparently much more likely to be driven than drive compared to other cars and are more concerned with statement, ride comfort, space and luxury than technology. The more technology aware owner is more likely to buy a CL, SL or E. The MB view is that the level of technology exposed to BMW 7 owners is inappropriate - they are just not that interested. Even so, makes you wonder what the point of the S55 AMG is - the S600 is clearly the more interesting choice in that context.

The E Class has a basic form of ABC called SAS - yet another TLA (three letter acronym) - Semi-Active Air Suspension - which tries to achieve with air what ABC achieves so spectacularly with hydraulic fluid. The point was made that with a compressible medium like air, precise and rapid control was not possible and SAS is mainly concerned with damping and ride hide adjustment (including adjustment for load) where ABC goes much further in enhancing the dynamic performance of the car.

Also, there was an interesting session on MB automatic transmissions which highlighted the fact that the same design is used throughout the range with minor variations only, leading to great economies of scale and reliability. Recent enhancements have led to a completely maintenance free transmission where even the oil no longer needs to be changed and the transmission is self-adjusting to compensate for wear aided by a smart electronic control unit. They had one of the transmissions dismantled for people like me to play with. Interesting statisitics include the fact that it weighs 80 kg (176 pounds) and has over 650 parts.

I drove over to MB in my SL55 in filthy conditions and the car was never less than superb. Comfortable, secure and effortless - stunning - overtaking ability in the wet. I also met forum member SLBoy who came in his Jasper/Alpaca (=Orion/Ash) SL55 which looked great and to whet our appetites, MB had arranged for a fully restored 1950's gull-wing to be displayed alongside another Jasper/Alpaca '55. A good day...

Last edited by blueSL; 03-01-2003 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Blue,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the technical forum. I am disappointed to hear that an upgrade to the SL's navigation system is not in the works. A switch to DVD from CD-ROM is seemingly trivial and it should be done posthaste. I still hold out hope that it will be in the 2004 model.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CL 550
SL

did they mention anything about the changing of the card based keyless go into the key based one, which should be less prone to failures?
Old 03-02-2003, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Yes, I forgot we covered that. They did not say, or would not admit, that there had been common failures of the radio card to communicate with the car but the "official" reasons for the change seem to be:

- the ability of the key to remote open the boot/trunk (and in the case of the SL the roof also) is a bigger selling feature than the ability of the card to remember whether or not the car is locked when you walk away (which I personally like - used it yesterday to see that, whoops, I'd forgotten to lock it at one point).

- some people, especially women find the card inconvenient to carry, where men might just put it in their shirt pocket.

- there have been some instances where the card may have wiped credit cards by being stacked next to them. Presumably, the same could happen with a key as well as a card.

I think this is all white-wash because none of that really explains why both cards and keys should not be supplied together and let the consumer make a choice. Bottom line I suppose is that there have been some instances of people not being able to get into their cars and all hell has broken loose without a ready solution to the problem of radio interference blocking access or flat batteries in the card.

Personally, I'd like to see the metal physical key slotted into the keyless go card but some bean counter in Unterturkheim obviously doesn't think it matters.

Jack, I think the view is that this is a big change to do mid-year. Maybe it's something they will announce for the 2004 model year but the guys we were talking to, who are technician trainers had heard nothing about it but knew already that it's coming in the 2004 S-Class.

Last edited by blueSL; 03-02-2003 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:57 AM

2001 S500
BlueSL

Thanks so much for the detailed info. I am still slightly confused...WHEN is the chip in the key going to happen???? My SL55 was produced last week...will I get the key or card? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:35 AM

2006 SL55 with 030 Performance Package
I would put money on the card for any 03 models.

BlueSL did they talk about 6 speed autos?

AMGBENZ
2003 SL55 AMG (It did not show up at the dealer Saturday)
This car is becoming a real quest, I put in my slot in 1999
2000 ML430
Old 03-02-2003, 11:07 AM

BlueSL - an excellent detailed summary of a most interesting day. I presume you took photos of the gullwing - would appreciate you sending me one (I thought my camera was in the car and realised on arrival in Milton Keynes that it wasnt).
Old 03-02-2003, 12:09 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Very interesting, BlueSL, thank you, but I can't see how hard it would be to have both a key and a card.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:25 PM

2001 S500
AMGBENZ

Where is your car??? Do you have any info? Mine is somewhere between final production and the port in Bremerhaven. Cannot track it to a boat yet. Please let us know when you get it and IF IT HAS THE CARD OR KEY> THanks
Old 03-02-2003, 07:01 PM

2006 SL55 with 030 Performance Package
RootN4U

I have no idea where my SL55 is, my dealer said it was invoiced and released to a truck on the 26th.

I am not going to get alarmed yet, but if its not in by Tuesday than that might be a concern.

It might not be a bad idea to call your dealer just to find out if your car has been relased to the shipping company.

With mine it was a on ship for a week before the dealer comupter showed it was even on a ship.

AMGBENZ
2003 SL55 AMG (I will believe it when I see it!)
2000 ML430