SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Collectors value of the SL55 .. eventually

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320,S320,SL55,190D
Originally Posted by sound 8
Why on earth would it be more collectible because it's in India?
Because the no of SL55s is around 15 - 20 max, with only 1 red example.

Moreover, due o the import regulations, this number will mostly never change since the 55 production has been stopped.

Originally Posted by chuck z
With the relative ease of locating cars in any part of the world and shipping them to any part of the world; probably not.
Thats my point. No SL55 can enter our country unless it is brand new first owner 0 kms.

Originally Posted by Sunir
I dunno I saw a couple of new M3s speeding accross the bridge from Delhi to Gurgoung last time I was there ...

Where in India are you?
Yes my friend has an Alpine white E92 in Gurgaon. I live In New Delhi.

Originally Posted by RRod
I mean no disrespect, but there is one thing I've experienced when I bought a used rare car from a developing country.

The concern I would have when buying a rare used car from any part of the developing world, where poor roads and open sewage systems are much more common, is getting the smell of the sewage out of the leather, carpeting, etc. I've been to most developing nations and can not get the smell of open sewage ditches out of my head ..... something that those nice television travel logs can not portray (the sewage odors) when you watch tours of beautiful far away places.
Sir , i dont mean to sound rude but that comment is so ignorant.

India isnt all "Slumdog Millionare"
Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by raunaq23

Moreover, due o the import regulations, this number will mostly never change since the 55 production has been stopped.

Thats my point. No SL55 can enter our country unless it is brand new first owner 0 kms.

Sir, if you read my post I was merely pointing out that to become a classic it
doesn't matter what country it comes from.
Every country has there own import laws, it might make it rare to see, but again it doesn't alter it's collectible status.
Please if you wish to call people ignorant read thoroughly first.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM

ML320,S320,SL55,190D
Sir, if you read my post I was merely pointing out that to become a classic it
doesn't matter what country it comes from.
Every country has there own import laws, it might make it rare to see, but again it doesn't alter it's collectible status.
Please if you wish to call people ignorant read thoroughly first.
You are one confused person. Classic and collectible are two very different terms.

Classic is defined with respect to age of the car. (Generally a car more than 25 years approx.) Cars more than 50 years old are refferred to as vintage.

A collectible item is defined with respect to rarity of the item.

The car i speak of is the only of its kind in the country. It is a very rare item and will always remain rare. Hence it is collectible in my country.

In my first post i never mentioned the word classic. I used the word collectible.

even in your first reply to my comment you used the word collectible.

By now its obvious who needs to read more thoroughly and which of us is the ignorant one.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:09 PM

M Cars, old Corvettes, other old Detroit Muscle, etc.
All right boys .... calm down now
Old 11-04-2009, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No not slumdog millionaire, you are just a thick egotistical jerk that thinks because he owns a red SL55, apparently the only one in India, his car will become collectible, oh sorry classic! Try not to show your arrogance so easily.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:38 PM

I think we may need a MODERATOR sponsered cooling-off time-out here
Old 11-04-2009, 02:41 PM

ML320,S320,SL55,190D
No not slumdog millionaire, you are just a thick egotistical jerk that thinks because he owns a red SL55, apparently the only one in India, his car will become collectible, oh sorry classic! Try not to show your arrogance so easily.
hahaha... Cool those horses... You're making it obvious as to whos the egoistical jerk here...

Dont get mad at me for correcting you.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
cars like the SL are very rare in India...I was born in India and raised in the US...but I travel farily frequently and can tell you that car in India will go up in value, by how much I don't know...even if it does not anywhere else in the world...ultimately it all comes down to how much someone is willing to pay though...

As for the sewage smell...India is changing and becoming more westernized...there are programs in place to improve infrastructure and since the H1B immigration died down many very bright folks are staying in India and helping improve her economy, infrasturcture, and introducing a good amount of modern change...
Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM

I still can not find any mention of India in my original reference to sewage odors in developing nations? The car with the sewage odor that I bought was not even close to India.

So why is everyone assuming it was India?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I think because of the whole thing with the red sl55 in India...that was fused together is one of the underlying themes of the thread ...you're right you didn't mention it...
Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hahaha... Cool those horses... You're making it obvious as to whos the egoistical jerk here...

Dont get mad at me for correcting you.
I realize now that the SL55 doesn't come into it.
It's you.
Look at me in MY red SL55, I am the only one able to bring one into the country, therefore it's the only one in the country ! I'm so rich and clever
and important, and my SL55 will become collectible, but apparently only in India.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
This is a great chain...I really enjoyed everyone's input, especially people how have the historical knowledge and perspective. As much as i enjoy driving the newer MBs, there's something special about my 1995 (last year of the E320 cabriolet), especially when the sunny CA temperature is between 70 and 85 degrees. Although it's not "quick" - it goes fast when i want it to. Importantly, I'm usually NOT in a hurry when I'm driving that car and I'm just trying to enjoy the surrounding/sound/smell/life, etc.... Thanks for sharing everyone.
PL
Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Sl55 AMG
Man, after reading this thread I think I made a mistake buying the SL55 (thanks for the bucket of cold water) I personally didn't buy it for a investment or to show off. I bought it because it is pleasing to the eye and a zen moment to drive but if I can't drive it due to lack of parts that cost more than their weight in gold, what's the use?
Maybe auto trader India comes to mind?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by JustaEngineer
Man, after reading this thread I think I made a mistake buying the SL55 (thanks for the bucket of cold water) I personally didn't buy it for a investment or to show off. I bought it because it is pleasing to the eye and a zen moment to drive but if I can't drive it due to lack of parts that cost more than their weight in gold, what's the use?
Maybe auto trader India comes to mind?
Nah, don't sweat it. Just take your car for a drive, top down, on a good road, on a good day and you'll remember why you bought it in the first place.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Interesting comment here. I don't think the SL55 will be a collectible car but the genre - the big muscled V8s and V12s - will inevitably fade as the need to improve corporate wide mileage will dictate a trend to smaller turbo-charged engines. It seems clear, for example, that the V12's days in Mercedes are numbered. Sure, the likes of Ferrari will continue with it but their numbers are tiny.

All that says a muscular V8 is to be enjoyed while we still can. As for the SL55, I share the concerns about maintenance and the dealers' abilities to diagnose and fix age-related problems. These will be more hydraulic and electronic than mechanical but there's a real risk of mechanically perfect cars being scrapped because of unobtainable electronics to start their engines.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 E450 Wagon
Some of the most coveted collector cars were made just before insurance and emission regulations killed all the fun cars. Think big V8 sports cars and pony cars. Top of the heap, big block Corvettes! Here we are some 40 years later and it's deja vue all over again. Another perfect storm. Except it's going to be corporate CAFE fuel economy regulations as well as "the economy" making fewer ZL1 Corvettes, SL65's, GTR's available later for collecting.
There is plenty of time, look up Sam Posey's Road & Track article on his Gullwing SL. Nobody wanted it just a few year after it was built,yet it remains VERY desirable today. Better to sell now the SL and buy it back in 5 to 10 years

Last edited by GermanCars; 08-10-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
I should know better..

I should stay out of this. Here's the one thing that would be good to consider:
No matter how much we love them, late model Mercedes are mass produced cars. (Don't think so? Ever been to the factory? Or even the port?) They are great to drive, pleasing to look at, and I have loved (most) all of them. But there are just too many pieces of product on the ground for any R230 SL to be something of great collectible value. Certainly, there will be exceptions. But you can thank the bean counters for the desire to keep pushing more and more units all over the world. That's all that matters to them now. YMMV, etc.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by mark anderson
Hey that's my car
041 designo graphite
511 Charcoal Exclusive Leather
030 AMG performance Package
220 Parktronic
235 Designo Graphite edition
251 delimited top speed
396 Voice control
401 Active Ventilated seats
415 Panorama roof
614 Bi-Xenon headlights
619 Corner illumiating foglamps
881 Electronic trunk closer
889 Keyless go
the msrp was 160k
9k miles at the moment
Mark, Graphite is probably my favorite color on an SL . I serched the threads you started, but I can't see the pics when I click on the one dedicated to your SL. Can repost some ? Thanks !
Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 S63,2015 SL63, 2007 SL55, 2006 SL55, 2003 SL55
Originally Posted by DCMETRO22Z
Mark, Graphite is probably my favorite color on an SL . I serched the threads you started, but I can't see the pics when I click on the one dedicated to your SL. Can repost some ? Thanks !
Sure. It's no longer mine and I really miss it. Looking for another now.
Attached Thumbnails Collectors value of the SL55 .. eventually-sl552.jpg   Collectors value of the SL55 .. eventually-sl551.jpg   Collectors value of the SL55 .. eventually-int1.jpg  
Old 08-16-2011, 01:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by mark anderson
Sure. It's no longer mine and I really miss it. Looking for another now.
Beautiful !