SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Help with MCT Transmission in 2010 E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 AM
RR4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with MCT Transmission in 2010 E63

I picked up a new 2010 E63 and I've been having problems with the MCT transmission - unless its normal for MCT.

I've got only 500km on the car but below 30kph it feels very jerky.

When I come to a stop and then accelerate again, I feel the transmission almost slip. It seems like it takes 2-3 seconds once the brake is released for the gear to actually fully engage.

I found the following thread here:

"I test drove our local dealer's 1st SL63 and I love the exhaust sound, but I wasn't too thrilled with the new transmission. I don't know if it was normal, but I didn't like when I took off from a stop and the clutches engaged with a little jolt."

I'm going to bring the car in to the dealer. Is there anything I should remind/ask the technician to check?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

R
Old 11-30-2009, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Whore
NORMAL. You should have done research before buying. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum and also at AMG Private Lounge.
This was why I had to hire a lawyer and force MBZ to take back my SL63.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have SL63 and it does the jolting also...took it in and they reprogrammed it...cleared up for about two weeks and then returned....somewhere I read this issue was on the earlier cars and the "valve body" was redesigned????
Old 01-19-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
96 P993T, 00 E55, 09 SL63
MCT

In my SL63, you have this jolts usually when you encounter a Stop sign where you come to a stop and then accelerates especially in C mode. What happen is as you come to a stop the tranny is still not in 1st gear and as you accelerate it will engage to 1st gear while you depress the accelerator which will give you the jolt.

I have noticed that if I give enough time when stopping (to allow the tranny to engage 1st gear) then no jolts. Tranny mode S or S plus will minimize this since the tranny will go to 1st gear faster/earlier.

The slow speed jerkiness seem to be normal at lower speed and low throttle input as the MCT tries to modulate the clutch engangement.

Originally Posted by RR4
I picked up a new 2010 E63 and I've been having problems with the MCT transmission - unless its normal for MCT.

I've got only 500km on the car but below 30kph it feels very jerky.

When I come to a stop and then accelerate again, I feel the transmission almost slip. It seems like it takes 2-3 seconds once the brake is released for the gear to actually fully engage.

I found the following thread here:

"I test drove our local dealer's 1st SL63 and I love the exhaust sound, but I wasn't too thrilled with the new transmission. I don't know if it was normal, but I didn't like when I took off from a stop and the clutches engaged with a little jolt."

I'm going to bring the car in to the dealer. Is there anything I should remind/ask the technician to check?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

R
Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by Fantasm
NORMAL. You should have done research before buying. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum and also at AMG Private Lounge.
This was why I had to hire a lawyer and force MBZ to take back my SL63.
Hi, did you ever find out what that banging noise was, I trust you won your case, what wheels do you have now.