SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL 55 poor brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 55 AMG, ML420 cdi, E320 cdi
Smile SL 55 poor brakes

A while ago I posted on here I was having problems with poor brakes on my SL55AMG. After four years of moaning to the dealership it has finally been sorted. The dealership did not even recognise there was a fault with the car, so this made it very difficult. Eventually after contacting MB UK they sent a technical man out to drive the car, he immediately diagnosed there was something wrong with the brakes and further tests were made on the car at the dealership, under instruction from Germany. This turned up a fault on the SBC after the dealership were given some further codes to interrogate the SBC.
I believe this fault has been on this car from new, it's now six years old.
I have to say once MB UK technical got involved, things happened a lot more smoothly.
My thanks to MB who have stood the cost of the replacement SBC and fitting.
It's a shame it has taken four years to sort!!!!

Last edited by jvgarnett; 12-16-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling
Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by jvgarnett
A while ago I posted on here I was having problems with poor brakes on my SL55AMG. After four years of moaning to the dealership it has finally been sorted. The dealership did not even recognise there was a fault with the car, so this made it very difficult. Eventually after contacting MB UK they sent a technical man out to drive the car, he immediately diagnosed there was something wrong with the brakes and further tests were made on the car at the dealership, under instruction from Germany. This turned up a fault on the SBC after the dealership were given some further codes to interrogate the SBC.
I believe this fault has been on this car from new, it's now six years old.
I have to say once MB UK technical got involved, things happened a lot more smoothly.
My thanks to MB who have stood the cost of the replacement SBC and fitting.
It's a shame it has taken four years to sort!!!!

Glad to hear it finally worked out for you!!
Old 12-17-2009, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I am glad that you persevered and got the brakes taken care of. It shouldn't take that to get things done, but today's mechanics are usually just cod readers and parts changers.... not diagnostitions.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
SBC has been a total nightmare hasn't it?

I've had an SL55 from the beginning and lost count of the number of updates they've made to the point where they are now reasonable but by no means perfect. It's no wonder the system has been dumped for newer car ranges, is that true of the SL63 as well?

My SBC controller - the lump at the front left of the engine bay (as you look at the engine) - failed. I came back to the car after just a couple of minutes, red warnings, do not drive, brake failure. Don't believe about the manual backup, it's unusable. Flat bed back to the dealer.

It's big money to replace but fortunately, Mercedes replaced it foc and my understanding is they will for the first 10 years because of the problems in making the early ones reliable. After that, it's something like $3000 - $4000 to replace.