SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: custom 3"catback for SL65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 escalade
custom 3"catback for SL65

hello,

I have been looking for exhaust for my SL but didn't find much. So, my fabricator is going to build custom 3" exhaust system. we are thinking about making one out of aluminum rather than stainless steel but it depends on what aluminum mufflers we can find. If there is not correct aluminum muffler than I'll be using burns 3" bullet mufflers. I'll post updates later.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:04 PM

Looking for CLS55 AMG
what is your reasoning behind this? from what i've heard the AMG exhaust is already above average
Old 12-23-2009, 10:23 PM

08 escalade
Originally Posted by Nebster
what is your reasoning behind this? from what i've heard the AMG exhaust is already above average
I want my exhaust note to be little more aggressive. it is not loud enough. I'm sure there will be some hp gain and loose some weight.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 E55, 07 SL65, 06 S4
I think a full 3" well done (mandrel bent) exhaust could add some power, albeit not significant. The AMG tubes have quite a few indents and are flattened in some places - but on the material I have reservations: You cant use aluminium tubes, just aluminzed steel pipes, the same cheap stuff you find on Hunday's etc, those are not significantly lighter, just significantly cheaper!! The only way to lower weight is to go the titanium route - very expensive and very tricky to work with - but its done, just go and visit the NAGTROC crowd, lots of that kind of work is done for the GT-R. Sad that we don't have the same level of work and suppliers to choose from.

Originally Posted by v10boost
hello,

I have been looking for exhaust for my SL but didn't find much. So, my fabricator is going to build custom 3" exhaust system. we are thinking about making one out of aluminum rather than stainless steel but it depends on what aluminum mufflers we can find. If there is not correct aluminum muffler than I'll be using burns 3" bullet mufflers. I'll post updates later.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:50 AM

08 escalade
Originally Posted by CA_E55
I think a full 3" well done (mandrel bent) exhaust could add some power, albeit not significant. The AMG tubes have quite a few indents and are flattened in some places - but on the material I have reservations: You cant use aluminium tubes, just aluminzed steel pipes, the same cheap stuff you find on Hunday's etc, those are not significantly lighter, just significantly cheaper!! The only way to lower weight is to go the titanium route - very expensive and very tricky to work with - but its done, just go and visit the NAGTROC crowd, lots of that kind of work is done for the GT-R. Sad that we don't have the same level of work and suppliers to choose from.
Yes, I agree with you on hp gain. I just want to hear v12tt the way it should sound. My fabricator has done many aluminum exhaust systems before. He only does catback aluminum systems. he makes downpipe and mid pipes are made out of stainless steel.