SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Project SL55! The Beginning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Project SL55! The Beginning

After much thinking and counting numbers, either going into a new body style SL or going with a Black Series Kit I decided to undertake a custom project. Reasons for this is not only saving money, but why pose in a Black Series benz that is just a regular SL55 under the skin? I located a custom shop which will be starting this project this coming April, there is not too much to do and the cost will be a fraction of what the Black Series Kit costs. This project is not by any means to make the car look better than the ultimate kit from Mercedes themselves it is just something to bring up the SL and make it a little bit different in an aggressive sort of way.I will be going with a SL63 rear bumper with a carbon fiber exhaust fascia and also rolling the fenders for a nice wheel setup. The sleepy hood and grill will be custom made along with keeping the distronic cruise sensor relocated behind the front grille. Along with the custom grille and hood they will be making a custom set of fenders using the originals to make the ultimate sleepy hood for this project. I will be also doing carbon fiber mirror covers along with the project. The interior of the car I will be leaving for later and going with DTC products. As far as the motor goes my piggy bank is getting there and Jerry at LET tuning will be working on the car.

This is what the car will look like once it is complete.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
E55
not sure about the hood, but I really like the grilles w/o the star. i would do the grille matte black or satin black like amgfan
Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by omar26
not sure about the hood, but I really like the grilles w/o the star. i would do the grille matte black or satin black like amgfan
Hopefully it will turn out looking really good in person. I will post pictures as soon as the project is complete
Old 02-02-2010, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
how are you going to modify the headlights for the sleepy hood? Also if I understand it you are looking to make the fenders and hood into a one piece for the ultimate sleepy hood, correct?

This looks like a totoal transformation project, best of luck to you
Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sunir
how are you going to modify the headlights for the sleepy hood? Also if I understand it you are looking to make the fenders and hood into a one piece for the ultimate sleepy hood, correct?

This looks like a totoal transformation project, best of luck to you
The headlights will stay the way they are, the way the sleepy hood works it goes slightly over the headlights, while the fenders are pulled a bit forward for the hood to meet them on the sides. So the hood and fenders will be still 3 pieces.

Thanks,

I hope that this project will bring this SL to be one of a kind and look great.