SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New Wheels-Tire Pressure monitor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duramax Diesel
Exclamation New Wheels-Tire Pressure monitor

I am considering upgrading the wheels on my SL55. My car has the tire pressure monitoring system. Where are the sensors and what are the issues if any in moving them to new wheels?
Old 03-20-2003, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
The sensors are on the back of the tyre valves and commonly get wiped out when tyres are removed by people who do not know what they are doing.

There is an aerial in each wheel arch which picks up the information transmitted back from the sensor for display. From what I can see, there are three choices for powering the sensors, although I do not know which is used in the SL:

- a lithium battery in the sensor will power it for ten years and onboard intelligence will reduce battery power so that it only transmits when the pressure changes.

- interrogate the sensor by blasting it with RF energy to power it up and read back the data. Looks like this would only work if the device was completely passive and had no requirement for continuous power, however small.

- if the thing only has to work in motion, create a magnetic field in the wheel arch so that a coil moving it will generate the small amount of power required.

Bottom line is that the wheel has to be able to accomodate the pressure transducer which not all them can. The sensors also weigh about an ounce which needs to be compensated for when balancing the wheels.

Last edited by blueSL; 03-20-2003 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
good info
Old 03-20-2003, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Thanks Eurosport, I revised it after doing some digging around!
Old 03-20-2003, 12:19 PM

'03 SL55 AMG
new wheels

MBUSA has announced a new "19 tire/wheel package for the SL55. It is called the Presidential Package. Park Place M-B in Dallas can obtain them. They are shipped with the pressure monitors already installed, they qualify under the MBUSA bumper-to-bumper warranty (this is a huge advantage that the aftermarket cannot match) and are approved by AMG. The package comes with Michelin Pilot Sport tires and it seems very competitive.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:08 AM
db1
Almost a Member!

If you are interested in seeing the AMG approved alloys for the SL55 have a look at:

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/amg/e/f...chtmetall.htm#

this gives you an idea of them.

I absolutely would not put anything on the SL that was not approved by AMG. I recently went to the Aston Martin factory and spent some time with the engineers who described what they require from the combination of the tyre and rims to ensure optimal traction and ride with any given suspension. I would expect that AMG are the same, if not more discerning when you consider the suspension is also computer controlled.

Bottom line is that ALL these components; suspension, tyres, rims need to be tuned to work together or you lose out in the cars handling.

Db1