SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 600/65 V12TT's Meth/Injection anybody besides SGC & Oxygen have it? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
600/65 V12TT's Meth/Injection anybody besides SGC & Oxygen have it? Thoughts?

Installing Snow Performance 2 Meth/Injection early next month @ Gintani Motorsports, will have pre/post install Dyno's on their DD & report back here.

Even if it doesn't substantially lower IAT's (which I can't see why not) the boost in Octane rating alone should be worth it...

Gintani will be making a custom larger rear reservoir tank.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
I've thought about it but haven't gotten around to it. Looking forward to hearing how it works for you.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 Sport
Didn't SGC say it almost burned his car to the ground and didn't do much?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Gondon
Didn't SGC say it almost burned his car to the ground and didn't do much?
Yes, but that burned to the ground part sounds due to very improper install. I was also told by a very well respected member here that running high flo cats on v12 tt would net ZERO HP/TQ gains (they already tried it & not to bother waste of $$) , I later found that to be untrue.

Only way to find out is to try it myself, pre-post dynos should tell story.

Originally Posted by jmf003
I've thought about it but haven't gotten around to it. Looking forward to hearing how it works for you.
I believe there's at least 3-4 E55k guys running around w/Meth successfully

Hmm was diggin thru archives I found this very informative thread, w/huge promise & dead ends? I will push ahead w/this mod as it can always be undone. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...o-results.html

Notable pearls in this post from good ole grumpy!!!
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
The primary purpose of water/methanol injection is to cool the intake charge. It doesn't do this by injecting a cold fluid into the intake manifold - it does it by what some refer to as chemical cooling - more accurately known as latent heat of vaporization. The water and/or methanol is injected into the manifold under high presure (somewhere in the 150 psi range). Being forced through a small orifice under high pressure causes the fluid to vaporize, but in order to do so, it must take on heat (you can't get around the laws of thermodynamics). This heat comes from the surrounding air, thus cooling the intake charge. This is the same way refrigeration works, forcing the refrigerant through an expansion valve under high pressure to vaporize and absorb heat. Having the fluid at a colder temperature prior to injection will not have much impact on additional cooling. It will work fine at ambient temperatures, as it has for the past 60-70 years.

It is highly unlikely that injecting methanol in an engine that is not 'overboosted' will cause it to lose power. The cooling effect will provide a denser charge that will compensate somewhat for the added fuel (which also produces oxygen when it burns). Because the A/F ratio will be affected, the fuel maps should be adjusted accordingly - just the ones that are in effect when the injection in active at WOT. I don't know what you mean by open/closed deck, so I can't comment on that.

Adding methanol to the water will increase the octane rating of your fuel. It does provide cooling when it vapoizes, but only about half that of water. It's the cooling effect and bump in octane that primarily allows you to run more boost and more aggressive timing, not the richening of the fuel mixture.

Last edited by Thericker; 03-25-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Good luck Sean!

You know that ***** works!

Screw that 50/50 mix. 99.9% kid!