SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Where can I buy the trunk seals?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 sl55 amg
Where can I buy the trunk seals?

I just purchased an 04 sl55, and of course the trunk is leaking by the rear window seal. Is the seal on the rear window supposed to be attached with some sort of adhesive? I pulled the seal away from the window, and it is loose. It seems that water seeps between the window and the seal, then travels towards the c-pillar seal joint before dripping down. The dealership said seals weren't covered under CPO warranty, and wanted $1600 to replace all the trunk seals! Does anyone know where I can purchase them? Doesn't seem very hard to replace, and after searching for other posts, it doesn't seem like the dealerships are very good at fixing the leaking seals anyways. I have several other issues being fixed under warranty, but I still love the car
Old 06-10-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 sl55 amg
I just fixed my leak for $10. After closer inspection, the entire length of the seal should be adhered to the rear window with double sided tape. If you can peel back the seal, then the tape has come loose. To take off the seal, unbolt the 2 bolts on either side, and carefully pry it loose. The area around the bolts were glued down with additional adhesive. The bolts are attached to a metal plate that is built into the seal. Be careful not to bend the metal plate. I cleaned everything up, and put some new 3M double sided tape on, and now there's no leak If I had a little time, I would have ordered a new seal for about $100. Unfortunately, this is my daily driver, and we're about to set the record for the wettest June. Hope this can help someone with a leaky trunk!
Old 08-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by parvo99
I just fixed my leak for $10. After closer inspection, the entire length of the seal should be adhered to the rear window with double sided tape. If you can peel back the seal, then the tape has come loose. To take off the seal, unbolt the 2 bolts on either side, and carefully pry it loose. The area around the bolts were glued down with additional adhesive. The bolts are attached to a metal plate that is built into the seal. Be careful not to bend the metal plate. I cleaned everything up, and put some new 3M double sided tape on, and now there's no leak If I had a little time, I would have ordered a new seal for about $100. Unfortunately, this is my daily driver, and we're about to set the record for the wettest June. Hope this can help someone with a leaky trunk!
Is there a secret to get access to the 2nd nut on each side?
So you did this?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:07 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Tomcat SL
Is there a secret to get access to the 2nd nut on each side?
So you did this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnpmURGHIBA
I did this but also added a bead of black silicone caulk (from Lowes Home Improvement Center) below the window(sealing the front lip of the molding...looks great and solved this issue 100%