SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Loss of power and Hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Cool Loss of power and Hesitation

This is my first post on the site. I recently purchased an SL55 AMG. Absolutely love the vehicle. Its an 03 with low with and additional 20k miles since my purchase a year ago when it had 24k. I don't trust the dealership and am looking to determine what could cause the problems. It began with a missing problem when I would engage the blower at max acceleration. Now it has a hesitation or very notable choking when hitting 2nd gear. There also seems to be a higher RPM at idle. I want to change the spark plugs and I will, however, I think there is more to this problem. it happens whether I manually shift or use full automatic.

The CEL is on and I am looking for any and all recommendation before I take it to the dealer so I at least know what I am facing.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55, C63
Originally Posted by Davis55amg
This is my first post on the site. I recently purchased an SL55 AMG. Absolutely love the vehicle. Its an 03 with low with and additional 20k miles since my purchase a year ago when it had 24k. I don't trust the dealership and am looking to determine what could cause the problems. It began with a missing problem when I would engage the blower at max acceleration. Now it has a hesitation or very notable choking when hitting 2nd gear. There also seems to be a higher RPM at idle. I want to change the spark plugs and I will, however, I think there is more to this problem. it happens whether I manually shift or use full automatic.

The CEL is on and I am looking for any and all recommendation before I take it to the dealer so I at least know what I am facing.
go to your nearest kragen or pep boys and invest in a $80 hand held obdII scanner. Pull the code and email me at aamcotully@yahoo.com, i can assist you after that.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 57 Likes on 14 Posts
08 ML350, 2011 E550 Cab
or buy a scangauge II. Then after you use it to pull the codes and fix whatever is causing them, install it so you can monitor IAT's, Timing, ETC...
Nick