SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Battery Symbol - Visit Workshop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Symbol - Visit Workshop

Hello All...I have 2004 SL55 with 26K miles. The car has been running flawlessly for some time; I replaced the secondary (non starter) battery about 2 years ago.

I moved the car from one side of the garage to the other last Tuesday; upon attempting to start the car Saturday evening I received the red battery symbol and the red "visit workshop" message with no start (or even an attempt to turn over.)

Today the car is dark as the tomb-totally drained. So, from when I turned the car off Tuesday when it was running normally until today - what happened? Obviously a circuit stayed open or something else caused the drain...any thoughts, other than call the dealer service department (as I plan to do tomorrow)? I have heard too many stories about frying COMAND in a jump start attempt...?

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 AM

Called Roadside this morning and they came out and jumped the car; started right up. Interestingly I had a burned out third stop light bulb code come across, which I had never seen before. Drove straight to the dealer; they are recommending replacing the starter battery and they think that will solve the problem. I do not, as I cannot believe the battery "suddenly" went bad.

They have the car overnight; we'll see what happens in the morning...I'll update.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
It sounds like the starter battery needs replacing. I always replace the batteries in pairs in my SL55.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:19 PM

Nice call, Dino...apparently when the starter battery begins to fail it pulls power from the aux battery. I had replaced the aux battery some time ago and trickle charge it in the winter when the car is not driven as much.

I had the starter battery replaced and that solved THAT problem. However, when the power came back up the CD changer was no longer recognized. Somehow the in-car cellular phone was causing problems. I don't believe in coincidence; however the tech felt that: 1) since I didn't use/need the phone and 2)taking the phone out of the COMAND fiber optic loop made everything ELSE work correctly, unplugging the phone was the way to go.

While I don't disagree that this was the easy fix, and cheapest, I'd still like to know what's up. I had the COMAND gateway replaced 2 years ago...

Anyway, I'm back up and running...!