SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: My SL55 order – Am I making a mistake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Say what you wish about the M5, but the driver involvement is superior to that of the SL55. A Boxster S could leave the SL55 for dead on windy country road.

But then again, that's not why you buy an SL55. My last word of advice: evalutate your driver priorities, then make the choice. For 90% of your driving, I'm sure the SL55 will suffice.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Originally posted by blueSL
Wish someone would explain to me what the appeal of BMWs is in general and the M5 in particular.

There are too many on the streets here, bought by aspirational middle-achievers who think headlight washers are where it's at - they are everywhere and although the M5 may be at the top of the tree, the 5 series is now a dated design, soon to be replaced by a worse one which is every bit as ugly as the 7 series.

My own experience of BMW (not first hand, I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole as we say here) is that they are badly made and unreliable. I don't know which is worse, the quality of the cars or the attitude of the dealers.

That is the most ignorant ****** thing i have ever heard. You really screwed yourself on that one, and your undeserved superiority complex blinds you. Nice job.

T
Old 04-22-2003, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M5

BlueSL,

Wish someone would explain to me what the appeal of BMWs is in general and the M5 in particular.

There are too many on the streets here, bought by aspirational middle-achievers who think headlight washers are where it's at - they are everywhere and although the M5 may be at the top of the tree, the 5 series is now a dated design, soon to be replaced by a worse one which is every bit as ugly as the 7 series.

My own experience of BMW (not first hand, I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole as we say here) is that they are badly made and unreliable. I don't know which is worse, the quality of the cars or the attitude of the dealers.
There's no need for ridiculous, closed-minded commentary like this. I get just as frustrated when I read comments like this about MB owners made by BMW drivers on BMW boards. I know many people who have had quality problems with their MBs and BMWs.

I've personally owned 4 BMWs in the past (two of them current generation M5s) and I have had NO problems with them. Oh yeah, there was one time I was running a little low on oil at 1,500 miles, called the dealer and told them, and they FED-EXed me two quarts of oil -- at no charge!. If you drove an M5 (or an M3, for that matter), you would know what the appeal of the M5/M3 is.

Anyway, I sold my M5 for my SL, and I really miss it. However, I would probably do it again. Here's why:
1. I had too much cash tied up in other cars (including the M5)
2. I really wanted the SL.
3. The M5 body/interior (not the engine) was getting dated.
4. The upcoming 5-series replacement would surely devalue the M5.
5. The great performance and awesome looks combined with the best droptop in the business were irresistible.
6. The SL resale value is fantastic.

The SL55 is an incredible machine, and so is the M5. (BTW, I agree that the 7 is butt-ugly). But let's hold our analysis and posts short of insulting their drivers.

JB

Last edited by JBSL; 04-22-2003 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Hah, obviously touched a raw nerve or two here!

An opinion of a brand is formed based on experience of it and my own opinion gained indirectly through people who have had BMWs (and not one still has) is that the BMW ownership experience is pretty dire with the final kick-in-the-teeth coming at resale time.

I don't care how good the driving experience is, it matters little when the car leaves you stranded / needs a new engine / rusts / fails its annual safety inspection / and, and, and... If I then factor in the couldn't-care-less attitude of the dealers, this is one ownership experience I can do without.

As for comments about my posts, if you don't like them there's a simple solution - don't read them!
Old 04-22-2003, 04:50 AM
Bilal

I support BlueSL,

If you can't seem to accept people's opinions then accept the fact that you will have to, OK? Am I making myself clear? Now Cool it!

BlueSL
Old 04-22-2003, 06:46 PM

2005 SLK350
i also do agree with blueSL on the fact that he is entitled to his own opinions

however, blueSL's negative comments towards BMW's were irrational, since he claims that his experiences are not first-hand. he has no TRUE basis to say BMW's are ****, yet does.

i can't stress the fact that everyone has their own opinions enough, but i felt that blueSL just made himself look bad by saying things without any first-hand experiences. maybe he doesnt give a damn about what other ppl think, and thats alright, but i think what pissed off most ppl on this thread was the ignorance displayed by his messages.

but what do i care :p
Old 04-22-2003, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Originally posted by Bilal
I support BlueSL,

If you can't seem to accept people's opinions then accept the fact that you will have to, OK? Am I making myself clear? Now Cool it!

BlueSL
No nerve touched, dont need to accept anything unless living in a muslim or communist or repressed nation, and i reserve the right to make my own observations as well. Probably wont make any difference, and that I DO accept. Ignorance is bliss. BlueSL screwed himself, so im not complaining. I just felt like rubbing his face in it for my own laughter.

T
Old 04-23-2003, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Never owned one myself, but have witnessed the irrationality of friends and employees when chosing one for their company car and then, in the case of employees' cars, had to pick up the maintenance bills and cost of missed flights and extra hotel nights when they've been left stranded by their pride of Munich.

And the decision I took before (mostly) retiring last year to ban BMWs as company cars was a completely rational, informed one.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by blueSL
Never owned one myself, but have witnessed the irrationality of friends and employees when chosing one for their company car and then, in the case of employees' cars, had to pick up the maintenance bills and cost of missed flights and extra hotel nights when they've been left stranded by their pride of Munich.

Our company's employees have had exactly this same experience with BMW ownership over the last five years. We have a "user chooser" company car policy - they can choose any car they like up to an agreed value; no-one in the company drives a BMW any more.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:48 AM

SL500 Ex SL55, ML55, S430
Quite suprised at the above. I have had numeorus BM's in the past ten years as every day run-arounds. Always bought em three years plus old and high miles once the depreciation sting has gone. In recent years I had 2*740s, 735, 730, 535, 323 (wifes!). Never had any serious issues or a single breakdown.

I do accept the dealers are crap!

I certainly would not want to take the depeciation hit on a new 7 series!

I have tried to like the M5 on several occasions but it has failed to hit the mark - too heavy for my tastes as a drivers car (NB - I also feel the SL55 is too heavy!)

Totally agree with the comments regards Chris Bangles new designs - ugly 7 and soon to arrive ugly 5.

I have just bought a 00 S430 and find this to be not significantly better quality than the previous 740's I have owned.

But my 89 SL500 129 series - that was a diffent story! Incredible quality.

Oh dear - I have rambled on and lost the point

OK - Like BMW's - reliable - crap dealers - ugly new designs - not sure about the M5 - will probably have one as a runaround once the UK prices hit 20k

My 2 penneth!
Old 04-24-2003, 05:22 PM

2005 SLK350
I have had a few minor problems with BMW's as well as Mercedes (actually, the only major problem I had was with my 2003 SL500), but you cant base a whole company and their entire line on just your experiences (well actually, you should i guess ). Every company will produce a dud once in a while.

Interesting that the other BMW dealerships treat their customers like ****... in Hawaii its the other way around. I sound like a total Theodavies basher (they are the only authorized mercedes dealer in the whole state), but I'm just speaking from my (and my friends') experiences. I guess since they have a monopoly, they have the power to treat us badly, but it angers me because BMW of Honolulu is also the only authorized dealer, yet they provide exceptional service (again, my and my friends' experiences).

I do agree that the new bmw's look ugly tho! I would buy the old 7-series over the new ones anyday.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
BMW driver gets fastest ever speeding conviction in the UK

Of course every company screws up once in a while and you judge them on how well they sort out the mess.

A 27 year old car dealer driving a BMW M3 has just earned the dubious distinction of the highest ever speeding conviction in the UK. He was caught doing 157 in a 70 limit. He made things worse for himself by not having any insurance...
Old 04-25-2003, 03:29 AM

SL500 Ex SL55, ML55, S430
Re: BMW driver gets fastest ever speeding conviction in the UK

[i]A 27 year old car dealer driving a BMW M3 has just earned the dubious distinction of the highest ever speeding conviction in the UK. He was caught doing 157 in a 70 limit. He made things worse for himself by not having any insurance... [/B]
You can't blame BMW for this one