SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2 AMG Questions : Composite brakes & BS Speedshift.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
2 AMG Questions : Composite brakes & BS Speedshift.

Hi.

I read everywhere the SL65 AMG has 390 mm "Composite" brake Discs.What does it mean exactly ? The rotors aren't made of metal ?

I ask because It seems Only the SLR has real Carbon-ceramic Brakes. I'm not sure the SL65 AMG has real CCB's.

Other question : The SL65 AMG Black series has an upgraded Transmission software "speedshift plus".

Is it possible to load a regular SL65 trans with that software ?

I ask because I have heard it's possible to load non-amg trans with the AMG software (SL600 remapped with SL65 speedshift for exemple).

Any infos is welcome.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Composite is a fancy word for mixture. It means that you have a solid which is not an alloy but rather impregnated with a second metal or solid.

Alloys are chemically bonded in crystal structure where the gaps between the atoms of one metal can be filled with atoms of another element. Such as Copper-Aluminium, Iron-Carbon.

A composite is a high-tech word for sandwich or complex solid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brake
Old 08-05-2010, 11:29 AM

E320
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Composite is a fancy word for mixture. It means that you have a solid which is not an alloy but rather impregnated with a second metal or solid.

Alloys are chemically bonded in crystal structure where the gaps between the atoms of one metal can be filled with atoms of another element. Such as Copper-Aluminium, Iron-Carbon.

A composite is a high-tech word for sandwich or complex solid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brake
Thank you. I'm french and here we use the word "Composite" to qualify Carbon-ceramic mixture.

That's a vocabulary problem.

Thank you, I perfectly understand now.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:09 PM

MB
I think what the "composite" means in this case is that you have 2-piece rotors - cast iron discs with aluminum hats. The discs do not appear to be made of any special alloy.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Karl G
I think what the "composite" means in this case is that you have 2-piece rotors - cast iron discs with aluminum hats. The discs do not appear to be made of any special alloy.
Certainly there is some degree of marketing making the whole thing impossible to understand. However, the sandwich rule still applies. .