SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Running at Watkins Glen, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL65 w/RENNtech Stage 2, 2013 MB GL550
Smile Running at Watkins Glen, any suggestions?

Guys,
I'm running my 2005 SL 65 with RennTech Stage 2 at the 3 day DE Porsche event at Watkins Glen, NY this weekend and the 4 day Ferrari event the following weekend. Any suggestions about how the car will handle the track? First time doing something like this with my own car. I've been to two Mercedes AMG Driving Acadamys but this should be a little different. Not sure about tire pressure, pretty sure keeping car in Sport mode and will be keeping it in manual and using F1 shifters on steering wheel. Should be a ton of fun but would love to hear from some of you that have done this before. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I've raced at, instructed at, and driven many many times at the Glen. It is one of BEST tracks in the country. Are you going there with Riesentotor PCA...If so I've instructed at this event a few times.

Some thoughts:

1) don't worry about the car, or the settings, shifters etc...just make sure you have fresh brake pads, and fluid, and check your rotors. make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight, and set your air pressures according to the conditions on the day, if you have a tire temp gauge you can use that as well to check the heat distribution in the tires.

2) The car is much more capable than you will be if you are just starting out, do not try to overdrive the car, listen to your instructor. The Glen does not have a lot of runoff...outside of a couple of areas like T1 or the toe of the boot, should you go off track you will more than likely hit blue armco/guardrail and damage your car and the track (the track will send you a bill by the way).

3) You car, SL65, is very heavy and understeers on corner entry significantly. Check brakes periodicly, check tire wear, and keep an eye on pressures.

4) have fun, be safe ...and try to learn, you will be processing things at a high rate, especially at the Glen, it's a fast high horsepower suited track, lots happen very quickly...don't worry about the settings and gadgetry on the car...focus on things like vision, pedal transtions, smoothness, steering, brake and throttle inputs...those are all basic things that are of paramount importance on a road course.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 PM

sl65
Hello, go slow and try not to do to much to fast. Watch the turn after the bus stop, its sharp and a mistake will land you into the burm.
I found out the hard way..... have fun