SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Which Black colour is best?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 s500
Cool Which Black colour is best?

Hello

My dad has ordered an Obsisidian black with black leather.. still has a while to change specs..
I just want to know of the 3 blacks available i.e. Obsisidian, Standard, Opal, which is the best overall in terms of looks and maintenance ? emphasis on look of the car

Thanks
Old 04-16-2003, 04:47 PM

SL55/S55/CLK500
Plain Black is the classic black and shows everything from dust to dings. The Obsedion i think is a mettalic black so dust shows less but IMHO is less shiny than the regular black.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,344 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Had a triple black SL500 (non-metallic), have a obsidian black SL55 and black opal ML.

It was easy for me to see which one I liked the best since I had all three colors side by side, freshly washed and in the sun

Winner:
Black enamel.
Pros: Awesome look, especially with chrome rims (I had AMG's)
Cons:
Stays only clean for minutes and paint is super sensitive. Home of the swirlmarks.

Second:
Obsidian Black.
Pros: Also awesome, looks especially great in the sun. Our second car in that color. Doesn't scratch as easily.
Cons: No big issues. When cloudy, the metallic may appear a little like dust.

Third:
Black Opal
Pros: While the other cars get handwashes, the ML is the winter car, meaning lots of dirt and mostly car washes (rags, not bristles) and for whatever reason, the paint shows no scratches or swirlmarks. Go figure!
Cons: It's really not black at all. It is more like a dark metallic blue, especially in the sun. Pretty, but not my first choice.

Btw, while I would have preferred Java for the convertible interior, besides not being available, the charcoal or black are the more practical colors as road dirt will make it into interior.

Hope this helps...

Wolfman
Old 04-17-2003, 03:26 PM

2000 s500
Thanks so much for the info

I spoke to him about changing to Plain black - unfortunately he saw an s class in Plain after some rainy weather at the dealers - was not impressed.

I offered to wash the car twice a day, he says no...

Some idiot at Mercedes told him that Obisidian looks the best of the 3...