SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: More Tire Fun...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Tire Fun...

Most of you know I recently purchased new wheels and tires... I have been unhappy with the ride at high speeds. SL is shaking like bed at a cheap motel. So, when I sliced one of the rear tires I had the shop re-balance all the tires.. Well - took the car to Orlando last week and it is still shaking far beyond acceptable limits. So, I took the car to my local tire shop today and they re-balance (again). According to them, wheels are fine and run "true" however, the tires are apparently not running "true" and are running in an egg shaped way on the machine. Any thoughts on this?

I have not yet contacted the shop that sold me these wheels and tires, but I am PISSED!

Comments welcome.

D-
Old 10-17-2010, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Have you had this high speed vibration issue ever since the new wheel install? I vaguely recall someone having issues with hub-centric wheel spacers being installed wrong or maybe the wrong size. Possibly the wheel would mount differently on the balancing machine vs the actual hub and not reveal the problem.

good luck, hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will chime in.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 167 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
Hub centric wheel problem. If you want to diagnosis it and get it fixed, go to Advanced Tire & Wheel in Tampa, call and talk to Mike, near wheeltec.
813 868 1100
Old 10-31-2010, 10:09 AM

Tire Drama

Yup, the saga continues. So I called the tire shop in Tampa and tell them the issues with the ride. The guy tells me bring the car in yesterday at 3PM. So, I figure I will go up there and get some resolution to this mess. (car rides like vibrating bed at cheap motel) So, I show up and they pull 1 wheel off and decide they do not have the time to deal with this and that I should come back during the week. I was PISSED. I live an hour away so I basically burned 2.5 hours for nothing.

But, he does tell me that he has to "re-fit" the tires to the wheels. What does that even mean? I have mounted and balanced tired myself (a long time ago), but this should like BS to me. Then the tech comes out and tells me that not only do they have to re-fit the tires and wheels, but they likely have to take apart the 3pc wheels to try and get it "just right". Confidence is LOW. (keep in mind these wheels and tires have now been balances 3 times in 8 weeks)

This is a well known shop. These are well known wheels. WTF????

Oh, and they swear it is not a "hubcentric" issue (unless of course you consider that the wheels were cut or otherwise made wrong...

I am sensing this is not going to end well...

Comments welcome.

BTW - OKB - I may go see your guy, but this shop needs to fix what they started...

OH and the genius tells me that it is the end of the month so he is more worried about selling then fix my wheel issue. I reminded him that I alreay paid him... NICE!
Old 10-31-2010, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Npw surely,

no one would put a non hub centric whell on an SL. I certainly hope not.

Assuming that they are, you need to make sure that you geet to a shop that has (at the very least) a road force machine that can determine if the entire wheel and tire assy is round. If it is, (and given the shake, that's doubtful--either a wheel or a tire is not round) then you'll need to move on to a shop that can balance them on the car. That will give you the most true ride--but you wil absolutely need someone who knows what they are doing.
These problems, most of the time, are caused by a wheel or a tire, or both, that is not "true". If you bought the stuff from the same shop that's balancing them, then you may not be getting the total info that you need.
It's frustrating. Good luck and hope this helps....
Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 PM

Location: Lynnwood in summer, Fountain Hills during the rainy season in Wa.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Maserati QP EGT, 2005 SL55AMG , 2002 CLK55AMG 2002 C230K Coupe
I have gone around and around with all the local and nation wide shops and found the only shop that can balance the wheels on a SL is the dealer. I take mine in every year for a road force balance and have been very pleased with the results (new car ride).
Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 AM

Interesting... I have heard that the road force balance is the way to go. I have not tried the dealer as yet, but that may be the next step. I need to find out of they have one of those machines at the shop. WIll let you know.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:43 PM

Location: Lynnwood in summer, Fountain Hills during the rainy season in Wa.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Maserati QP EGT, 2005 SL55AMG , 2002 CLK55AMG 2002 C230K Coupe
The dealer I go to has a road force machine. And they will rotate the tires on the rim as applicable.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
A road force machine....

is a must, along with someone who knows how to use it. There's no sense in trying to index wheels or tires that aren't reasonably round.
But please, don't confuse this with balancing the WHEEL ASSEMBLY on THE CAR. It's just about a lost art, so hope you can fnd someone.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 AM

Driving on the stock wheels is starting to sound really good... or next time I will buy them thru the dealer - at least I know that they will eventually make it right.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mmmmm...

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Most dealers are a nightmare when it comes to the most basic aspects of mounting and balancing, especially oversize/performance tires. Surely in an area your size there is someone that knows what they're doing. Just don't think you've found them yet.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:49 PM

hahaha yeah it would seem that way