SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Stuffing the DRAGON... Thanksgiving?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
Stuffing the DRAGON... Thanksgiving?

The time honored tradition, this year. The Tail Of The Dragon, 129 from Robbinsville NC thru the Nantahala National forest. It was good dry weather and NO motorcycles, their season is over and all their hangouts are closed. It is an older road, good condition but pretty narrow and not much runoffs. It is really tight and not many straights for sure. It is a thrill a minute. I was running mostly in 4th and 3rd and dropping to 2nd several times. But the SL effortlessly pulled up on every climb. This kind of road will show you how great of a car they are .
I went around the loop, around the 360 to Tellico Plains Tn and the 165, Cherohala Skyway, thru the Cherokee National forest, which is a newly renovated more modern, wide road with creature cumforts like scenic overlooks and guard rails. This is my pick as the best road Ive driven. Its much faster , its still tight and trecherous but you can get alot more speed comfortably.
Then north to Cherokee NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is deffinately an old road, narrow but wide and plenty of scenic overlooks. Very beautiful scenery. You can see all the way to Florida. You can get alot of speed on this one. Only one park ranger past me. The only police I saw on the whole drive.
Returning south I found another great road, 64 from Franklin NC south to Hayesville thru the Chattahoochee National Forest, was very fast and scenic. But from Blairsville Ga on 19 south to Dahlonega, was a 20 mile free fall. This is where you can find a genuine corkscrew. I think I dropped 2 to 3 thousand feet several times. And mostly in 3rd and 2nd gear. This was my 2nd favorite road of the whole trip.
Not only is the SL a great cruiseing car when you hit the interstate, just like other Mercedes, but its a great handleing car and even comfortable when you are pushing it in bad turrain.
Attached Thumbnails Stuffing the DRAGON... Thanksgiving?-hpim4744.jpg   Stuffing the DRAGON... Thanksgiving?-hpim4823.jpg   Stuffing the DRAGON... Thanksgiving?-hpim4713.jpg   Stuffing the DRAGON... Thanksgiving?-hpim4784.jpg   Stuffing the DRAGON... Thanksgiving?-hpim5011.jpg  

Stuffing the DRAGON... Thanksgiving?-hpim4844.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL 55 and a GT 3000 vr4 Here's my car: http://home.online.no/~ludvs/index.cfm
Very nice pictures, it's fun to see people using the merc's for what it's been designed and built for.
Cruising and driving fast under the open sky.
Hope some more of you members could take a few pic's when you are on a trip and share them :-)
Keep'em coming!!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL55 AMG 030
I agree!
Sounds like you had a great time enjoying the car and the journey.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
excellent.

just one thing- never ever call the sl a good handling car... it is a living room sofa with electronic nannies.