SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Audio options

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz 430 CLK
Exclamation Audio options

Hey All,

I'm am looking to pick up a '05 SL 55 in a few days (yea!), but I definitely want to upgrade the audio system. I was looking at the Kenwood DNX-9980HD because supposedly it will reroute me based on traffic.... clutch when driving in LA/OC. All I want it's great sound, iPhone connectivity (integrated preferred but bluetooth is fine), Nav, HD/Sat radio and high quality tunes from my iphone (i've been using an FM transmitter in my '02 430 CLK, damn that sucks). I have a few worries and I hope some of you gents and ladies who have more experience can shed some light...

1) Will aftermarket audio disable the Keyless-Go?
2) DIY or installer? (I may just do installer for less headache...)
3) Anyway of preserving the steering wheel controls? I think Kenwood said there is an adapter to preserve them but I don't know of a case specifically for R230s
4) Any thoughts on the headunit? Has anyone has made an aftermarket headunit that can work with MOST/optical?
5) If I go with Reus Audio, how much would I be looking to shell out? How long do they take? Can they get me all my requirements listed above?
6) If anyone could post a pic or two of their aftermarket setup, I would love that to get some ideas!
7) Is Iphone/ipod my only option? Can
8) Most importantly, can anyone recommend an installer around the North Orange county area?

Thanks! You guys are awesome!

Khyber
Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
1. No
2. You will also have to replace the amp and do some re-wire in the car. Your car is fiber optic (M.O.S.T.) based. Therefore, several items must be attended to. Your level of experience will determine if you need an installer. If you choose an installer, they need to be VERY familiar with the Post 2005 Mercedes system. Make sure they are, or nothing good will come of it.
3. Yes, we have controllers and a whole kit for replacing the head unit.
4. No
8. Yes

We have heard good things about Reus, and you are welcome to look at our site for more information.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:13 PM

SL55 2004
audio options

This is primarily addressed to the Cartronics guys,

I have a 04 SL55 and just installed a Kenwood 9960. What do I need to know about MOST? Is that why the car alarm system keeps going on after 30secs of arming the car? everytime? The local MB dealer says it's because MOST doesn't see a radio anymore, is that true? If so, what do I need to purchase to insure the car "thinks" there is a radio? A simple "U" joint? If so, where can I buy this?

Also, I purchased an Axxess ASWC module for the steering controls, but the instructions from the vendor tell me that I need to connect one of the control leads from the SWC (#9) to one of the data leads from the car (BRW/RED) but that happens to be the same control lead going from the ASWC to the Kenwood radio (YEL/BLU), the car doesn't like that! Any suggestions? (if I need to purchase a different module, please let me know what, and where) Or did I not read the instructions right?

I'm not an installer but I am pretty resourceful and usually get everything done myself. Everything else works real great. (Alpine amp, Hertz speakers and rear camera)

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Rgds,

Bernie
Old 05-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

You will need to have the many of the car's systems disabled via Star Diagnostics. A simple bypass on the radio fiber will not work. You will need to disable the Audio Gateway and also turn off several other items that will show up when a scan is done via the Star DAS.
For future readers, that is why we sell a complete kit of everything needed to get a aftermarket into the car. It is not as simple as some make it out to be.
Now, on to your next question.... We do not work with Axxess at all, so I can not help at all about that product. We do sell a module (actually part of the entire kit, but I could sell it by itself) that I am of course familiar with. But before buying from us, have you tried to get support on the module you already have? Hopefully it was not from one the discounters that sell cheap, but offer no support.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 PM

SL55 2004
audio options

Thanks, I did buy the Axxess module from an authorized local retailer and he has already offered to help.

As for the STAR diagnostics, I'm afraid I will need to find another MB dealer because my local dealer just pisses on people that modify their cars. Lucky for me, there are several in the Montreal area I can go see.

Thanks again, this clarifies my next required actions perfectly.

Bernie
Old 05-02-2011, 10:31 PM

2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
5) If I go with Reus Audio...

Reus Audio just upgrade the stock system with more speakers, subwoofer/amplifier.

I did upgrade my SL55 stereo system with Reus Audio over 2 years ago and I'm very happy with it. How long you will have to wait for installation?, better call them.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:13 AM

Cartronics: I like the OEM REPLACEMENT NAV / AUDIO / BLUETOOTH / VIDEO but it doesn't list 2005 SL class. Will that one not work? Is there a different one I should be looking for? Is there a demo I can play with somewhere?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The unit will not work in the SL. The reason is market size. It takes over $100,000 to get one set up properly, tested and working. The E, CLS for example share the same unit. The SL does not share anything with any other model. The number of SL's made is MUCH smaller than the E,CLS. Even smaller still is the number of people wanting to change out the factory system. It does not make any sense to produce it therefore.
Instead, we have everything necessary to improve the factory system to just about anything you want.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:12 PM

can you make my current command unit do Nav with traffic, HD radio and voice activated?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:32 PM

SL55 2004
audio options

For those interested, I did get my steering wheel interface to work exactly as I wanted with the Kenwood 9960. The Axxess ASWC works perfectly but requires a little dexterity in programming it, not to mention the vendor instructions are not exactly accurate. http://www.axxessinterface.com/steer...l_control.aspx In the end, I am getting the controls that I wanted and can even remap a few keys if I want. If interested, I can provide the exact wire colors and numbers on the Axxess interface. I did speak to another MB dealer today and my old friend set me up with a quick appointment Friday morning and acknowledged it will required a STAR diagnostics connection and disable a few systems in the MOST loop, but not unusual of a request. (very unusual coming from an individual, usually does this for car audio specialty shops) Funny how the "younger" dealers want nothing to do with modifications whatsoever.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Everything except Nav Traffic....yes. HD radio tuner and voice activation can be added.