SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: A couple RennTech questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
A couple RennTech questions

Hey peeps,

I haven't been on in a while. I've had a lot of stuff going on and haven't even had the time to enjoy the car as much as I'd like to. I know, excuses excuses

Anyway, while out last night I saw a C63, apparently tuned by RennTech. It had fender badges which I hadn't seen installed before. I thought they looked pretty good and think I want to put a set on my car. I never even considered it before because I'm of the philosophy where I make fun of people who put all kinds of AMG, Lorinser, etc badges on their car when they clearly don't have the equipment to back it up. My thinking is there's no need to be ashamed of what you have which is already a really nice car. By trying to make it seem like more than it is, it just brings it down instead of moving it up in my eyes.

In my case however, I feel like the RennTech upgrades to my SL are worthy of the badging. If not, I'm sure you guys will let me know

So, my questions are

1. What is the proper location of the rear and fender badges? I believe the rear is on the passenger side, but does it replace the AMG or go somewhere else? Do the side fender badges replace the Kompressor badges or go above them?

2. Looking at the RennTech intercooler kit for a possible future install. I'd like to get your thoughts on it. I'm sure some of you will think it's overpriced but what I really want to know is will there be a difference in performance i.e. horsepower or just that the engine runs a bit cooler? FYI, I still have the stock set up including pump and haven't had any issues at all even with the RennTech upgrades and hard-driving in warm tropical weather.

Cheers everyone
Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Here's a SL65 with a RennTech tune and he badged his car. Always comes out to cars & coffee. Super cool guy and definitely worthy of badging his car as such. I'd say if you got the parts you can sport whatever you want as long as it's truth.

As far as the cooling goes, you won't gain any power but the IAT's will be lower allowing you to push the car longer and more reliably. And FWIW my stage 3 car doesn't have any cooling upgrades at all, just the updated factory bosch pump, and I never have the kompressor shut off on me. Very expensive upgrade from RennTech but if you want to keep it a RT car then by all means I can't argue with you (I keep my performance mods strictly Kleemann so I can see where you're coming from). Best of luck sir, I always admired your SL

Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
BADGES, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!!

I don't think I like the fact that it replaces the /////AMG logo on the rear of the trunk. AMG put a lot more time, effort, and $money$ into designing the car you drive then RennTech did but that is just my personal opinion. I do however like the little RennTech badge on the side under the "V12 Bi-Turbo" logo, that's an addition rather than a replacement.

Either way your looks GREAT and will still look GREAT regardless of what badges are on it
Old 05-15-2011, 01:31 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by tgoss
Here's a SL65 with a RennTech tune and he badged his car. Always comes out to cars & coffee. Super cool guy and definitely worthy of badging his car as such. I'd say if you got the parts you can sport whatever you want as long as it's truth.

As far as the cooling goes, you won't gain any power but the IAT's will be lower allowing you to push the car longer and more reliably. And FWIW my stage 3 car doesn't have any cooling upgrades at all, just the updated factory bosch pump, and I never have the kompressor shut off on me. Very expensive upgrade from RennTech but if you want to keep it a RT car then by all means I can't argue with you (I keep my performance mods strictly Kleemann so I can see where you're coming from). Best of luck sir, I always admired your SL
Wow, this is the answer I was looking for

Great pictures as well! Done and done. My car is definitely getting badged. I will replace the AMG but definitely store it in case I ever want to put it back. As far as the fenders, the smaller badges will go below the V8 Kompressor.

Looks like I'm going to hold off on the intercooler for now as I really haven't had a single issue yet. If I ever do then I'll probably use that opportunity and do it then.

Thanks for the kind words. You have a nice car yourself

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
BADGES, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!!

I don't think I like the fact that it replaces the /////AMG logo on the rear of the trunk. AMG put a lot more time, effort, and $money$ into designing the car you drive then RennTech did but that is just my personal opinion. I do however like the little RennTech badge on the side under the "V12 Bi-Turbo" logo, that's an addition rather than a replacement.

Either way your looks GREAT and will still look GREAT regardless of what badges are on it
Yeah, that's the one reason I was kind of hesitant. I will definitely keep the AMG badge stored safely in case I want to put it back someday. I don't think the car will be mistaken for a non-AMG though since it will still have the SL55 and fender badges, brake calipers, quad tailpipes, smoke taillights, etc.

agreed that AMG did the majority of the upgrades on the car from the stock SL but I think RennTech does a pretty good job of squeezing out that extra potential the car has in a very noticeable way and I want to set my car a little bit apart from all the other AMG's out there (there are plenty of AMG's here). I have only seen two other cars around here with any kind of RennTech badging so it gives it a little exclusivity (and at least in my mind the good kind, not the wannabe kind).

Thanks for the kind words and comments. Love hearing both sides