SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2006 SL65 Warranty woes....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 s550
Unhappy 2006 SL65 Warranty woes....

Hopefully one of you guys can give me some advice on what to do...

Here's the situation. I purchased a 2006 SL65 from a guy in FL about a year or so ago. The car was under the MB factory warranty when purchased. I had some service done at me local MB dealer here in New Orleans. I went to the dealership to purchase the MB extended warranty. They told me that the warranty was not up until April 2011 it was early November 2010. To make a long story short....the warranty was up in December and my car was not able to be put under a MB warranty. This all happened because there were multiple in service dates in the record for my car that confused that dealership. MB would not put the car under warranty period. The MB dealership sold me a GMAC warranty which they said was the only one that they could put on the AMG. I have 23K miles on the car and the AMG tranny goes out (that is ridiculous to begin with). So i bring the car to the MB dealership and low and behold they took my money for the warranty but that warranty was canceled. The MB dealer said that they were moving it over to the newer GMAC warranty and it was fine. Well now they are refunding my money back for the warranty and the dealer is fixing the car free of charge (a honorable thing for these guys to do). So my question is what should i do? I have a 190K car with no coverage. Do you guys think that MB should backdate the warranty? I don't see why they would not. We own 2 MBs the other is a 2007 S550. I really love the MB brand and would hope that they would do something here. Also if anyone knows of a good warranty that i could put on the SL that would be great!

Thanks,
Charles.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Originally Posted by chasblanchard
Hopefully one of you guys can give me some advice on what to do...

Here's the situation. I purchased a 2006 SL65 from a guy in FL about a year or so ago. The car was under the MB factory warranty when purchased. I had some service done at me local MB dealer here in New Orleans. I went to the dealership to purchase the MB extended warranty. They told me that the warranty was not up until April 2011 it was early November 2010. To make a long story short....the warranty was up in December and my car was not able to be put under a MB warranty. This all happened because there were multiple in service dates in the record for my car that confused that dealership. MB would not put the car under warranty period. The MB dealership sold me a GMAC warranty which they said was the only one that they could put on the AMG. I have 23K miles on the car and the AMG tranny goes out (that is ridiculous to begin with). So i bring the car to the MB dealership and low and behold they took my money for the warranty but that warranty was canceled. The MB dealer said that they were moving it over to the newer GMAC warranty and it was fine. Well now they are refunding my money back for the warranty and the dealer is fixing the car free of charge (a honorable thing for these guys to do). So my question is what should i do? I have a 190K car with no coverage. Do you guys think that MB should backdate the warranty? I don't see why they would not. We own 2 MBs the other is a 2007 S550. I really love the MB brand and would hope that they would do something here. Also if anyone knows of a good warranty that i could put on the SL that would be great!

Thanks,
Charles.
Ask all of that to brucem105@comcast.net.
He is the warranty guru.
I bought my car (05 S600) and Fidelity warranty through him and thank God for that. I just had a single warranty claim that totaled almost $9k with no problems.
He is very easy to talk to and a wealth of knowledge.
I have said this before, I had a great experience with him and when I buy another V12TT and aftermarket warranty, it will only be through Bruce Mendel.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:51 PM

2007 s550
Thx. I sent him an email!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
When did having an older car without a warranty become taboo?

I can't count how many Ferrari's, Porsche's, AMG's, etc. I have driven the heck out of, without warranties. It's just part of the game.

Fixing and maintaining cars that are a few (or more) years old, is just what happens. I have a theory about the warranty thing, as compared to health insurance on my patients....

Allot of my patients that either don't have insurance, or only catastrophic coverage, tend to take better care off themselves and not just come in every time there there is a kink in the road. Conversely, people that have warrantyless cars, do a better job of maintaining them, because they don't want them to break. Patients with 'killer' coverage, just seem to hurt themselves or let things go and come in and say, "Fix me"! Kind of like cars with warranties.

Having said all that, a gearbox should not go out at 23K miles, unless you are abusing the hell out of it. I would bet that they are either fixing it out of good will, or got MB to throw in some parts, etc., and are taking all the credit.

My 348 Ferrari's gearbox blew up when the car was 4 years out of warranty, and Ferrari stepped up (maybe because I was a very good customer), and gave me $9K worth of parts to fix the thing.

I'm glad it's all working out, but having a no warranty car isn't a death sentence. It is just a state of mind, and being proactive, rather than passive.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:59 AM

2007 s550
Dino,

I do agree with you about Insurance....but this is my daily driver and the warranty will more than pay for itself in 3 years. The inter-cooler went out on the tranny. I have not abused it and i agree it should not be going out at 23K miles! That is exactly what i told MB...

Ciao...
Chas.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
I can recommend a warranty through Fidelity as I have one too.