SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: STOLEN - My 4 month old SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by pocholin
Next time you see the add please send it to me, my dad needs it in Mexico, they keep stealing his grill, headlights, the glass on the rear view mirrors. It gets expensive after a few times!!!

Seriously, black market for those little parts is high in Mexico, even when they brake parts of the grill or the headlamps when they remove them, for them it is. cheaper to fix it and sell it.
does your dad have a benz in mexico?
Old 05-31-2003, 02:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by db1
sounds to me like there should be some security enhancement - for example a pin-code requirement entered on COMAND that enables the ignition as well as the key. This could be optional, but would mean a key by itself would not be sufficient. I know some of the older BMWs had this. Of course it should not be easy to hack, but every little obstacle helps I guess.
I like that idea, i always thought it was for show when i saw the movie The Transporter. Very cool stuff indeed! Our Nissan van had.. something.. like that, but it wasn't an ignition code. Just a small PIN number to unlock the car if you didn't have a key.

Next time you see the add please send it to me, my dad needs it in Mexico, they keep stealing his grill, headlights, the glass on the rear view mirrors. It gets expensive after a few times!!!
Gotcha, I'll ask for my cousin's mag's, he used to be big in the import scene.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I feel really sorry for you - what rotten luck.

Since the Tracker didn't trip and the alarm (presumably) did not go off, they must have had a key and just driven the car away at the dead of night, put false plates on it and away. I thought the Tracker could be activated via radio paging? Maybe they had already found it and disabled it.

Sadly, your car was probably stolen to order and they had been watching you for a while. They knew the VIN and that's only a bent supply chain away from driving the car away with a replacement key. I really do question the sanity of putting the VIN on public view...

Presumably, the police are being their usual completely useless selves, more concerned with filling in a form and catching someone with a speed camera than doing anything more useful.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Sorry for your loss.... that is just as bad as getting it keyed ( )... d'oh!
Old 05-31-2003, 07:43 PM

2001 Chrysler Indrepid
Originally posted by theine
I think the worst thing is that you waited a long time to get your car, and somebody else get's instant satisfaction.
I agree, life isn't fair!
Old 06-03-2003, 06:20 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 S430, 2001 ML 55, SL 55 on order
Here in canada the insurance companies insist on a Boomerang tracking device for most high end cars. the newer version of this system has a fob which must be kept with the keys. If the car is moved without the fob being nearby the boomerang unit, it automatically reports itself as stolen right away. Although no system is foolproof this seems be a good deterent as well as increasing the odds of the car being found. I guess the bottom line is that if a professional car thief really wants your car, he will find a way to get it so make sure you have good coverage.

realcanuk
Old 06-03-2003, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
That sounds better than our Trakker system which simply requires the car to be unlocked and the alarm disarmed. With the Boomerang unit, you need to have two devices, sourced from different companies (the keys and the fob) to disarm it which will foil attempts to obtain a spare key.

Still vulnerable to the keys/fob being stolen from a home though, and it makes a nonsense of keyless go. Mind you, Mercedes have done that by dumping the card...
Old 06-03-2003, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
dude.... that sucks.... did you cry? i would cry...