SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Any SL track advise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by jbusa95te
I just purchased a Go Pro Vid camera and will port a vid from the SL.
Sweet, so we will see some good shots of the back ends of the ZO6s . In all seriousness, I hope you are enjoying that SL for what it was made for? Drop the top and cruise that bad boy.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 sl600
I really am enjoying my new car. Always wanted one and its a blast. It may not be as fast as my Z but its so much nicer. Love the way the power comes on in a rush rather than an explosion. Both cars are great but the Merc is so much more car.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 AM

2006 sl600
Well my first track day has ended and here are the results. My best lap of the day was 1:26.8 over 5 seconds off my best Z06 time but still respectable. What I did not expect was the amount of stress on the Brakes, Tires, etc on the SL. I now have an almost new set of Conti DW’S that looked as if I had run a 24 hr endurance race. My Z06 was so much easier on tires. My brakes got so hot that the calipers turned gold from the excessive heat and were actually smoking after the first 10 lap warm-up lapping session. The balance weights on the rims got so hot from the brake heat that they fell off. I’ve never seen that before. The engine pulled very hard down the straights but the trans was way to slow to engage up shifts and downshifts to be effective. I often found my self in too high a gear and the computer would not let me over ride the gear selection.
The car handled very well considering its weight and I ran down quite a few cars that should have been considerably faster than the SL. Overall a great day with a number of compliments on the 600’s performance.
I have realized though that I need to invest in a different track car.
I took a couple of pics but I could not get the Go Pro to function properly to save my life. Too many setting and I kept messing it up. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Any SL track advise?-oct-9-time-trials.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 10:47 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by jbusa95te
Well my first track day has ended and here are the results. My best lap of the day was 1:26.8 over 5 seconds off my best Z06 time but still respectable. What I did not expect was the amount of stress on the Brakes, Tires, etc on the SL. I now have an almost new set of Conti DW’S that looked as if I had run a 24 hr endurance race. My Z06 was so much easier on tires. My brakes got so hot that the calipers turned gold from the excessive heat and were actually smoking after the first 10 lap warm-up lapping session. The balance weights on the rims got so hot from the brake heat that they fell off. I’ve never seen that before. The engine pulled very hard down the straights but the trans was way to slow to engage up shifts and downshifts to be effective. I often found my self in too high a gear and the computer would not let me over ride the gear selection.
The car handled very well considering its weight and I ran down quite a few cars that should have been considerably faster than the SL. Overall a great day with a number of compliments on the 600’s performance.
I have realized though that I need to invest in a different track car.
I took a couple of pics but I could not get the Go Pro to function properly to save my life. Too many setting and I kept messing it up. Sorry.
sounds about right. i assume your front tires look like goo too...

the stinking pads are prolly the fact that they have never been properly cooked which is what you did. once they stunk up... i assume you had some rest, did they stink up again? if they did- not good. once they are cooked they should perform unless pushed beyond their engineering. how fast is the track? what is your speed at the end of the longest straight...

i assume you drove with stability on- if so- did you notice how forgiving it actually is once you start pushing the car? never seizes to amaze me how such strict system seems to "know" when you are on the track and let you do your thing with minimum intervention...
Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 AM

2006 sl600
Front tires are toast. Edges rolled up like putty. The brakes performed fine after they cooled down but I also dialed back a notch to try and save them. I had replaced the fluid with race hi boil brake fluid so no issues there. The front straight is fairly long. You enter from a second gear corner and I hit about 125 before the chicane. I was hitting 140 on my Z06 but I was also carrying much more speed out of the last turn. I had the stability off but it's never really off. It would interact ever time it stepped out even slightly. I think I could have taken another second off my time if the trans would follow directions and the stability would not tone down the acceleration.
These really are great cars. To be able to perform even close to a track car like a Z06 is quite an accomplishment. BTW the first time I had my Z06 to this track unmodified I ran in the 1:24 range.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:40 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

i think the asr on the amg cars is less agressive than it is on the non-amg cars.

on my amgs driving with the asr on the track has been very rewarding.. i did not even have to turn it off to reduce its sensitivity or make me faster... you finding it too intrusive even when "off" tells me programming is different on the "pedestrian" mbs (it makes sense)...

140 at the end of the straight in a z06 is fast... what track was that at?

it is amazing how those heavy beasts hold up against more track oriented cars on the track... true story...
Old 10-10-2011, 12:59 PM

2006 sl600
Its Circuit Grand Bayou. The straight is long . Its an old dragstrip and you enter it at about 70 in the Z. Also keep in mind my Z06 was making 490 RWHP lots of suspension mods and R6 Hoosiers so it carried loads of speed onto that straight.I really just wanted to see how well the SL would stand up and I'm very impressed. I do have a Eurotune stage two with the pump and heat exhanger mod so accelleration was great just cant keep up with a car entering a straight 10 mph at least faster than you.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:32 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

nothing to be ashamed of- a z06 with r6s is a formidable track car.

at least i am sure you still cant wipe the smile off your face ... the r230 cars on the track are slow, but very entertaining in my book...