SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Got STAR Lowered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2006 C55
Got STAR Lowered

Finally got my SL lowered last week, via STAR, at my indie.

We ended up doing the "medium" setting, which drops the car about 1.5 inches all around, front fenders are now 2 fingers over the tire tops, rears are a tight 3 fingers. Looks great, quite noticable visually, don't think I'd go much lower for a street driven car.

The STAR menu offered three settings, stock, medium, and low. IMO low looked "slammed" cool, but the front bumper was just too low to be practical.

Apparently low is also a little more tricky with regard to eliminating "ABC visit workshop" error messages at startup, although it can be done with some creative axle angle values.

Probably old news to most here, but confirmed 2 things:

Lowering does alter alignment camber and toe settings, we re-aligned rear and front toe settings at inside edge of spec, left camber alone, now a little more negative, which is just fine.

Lowering does increase ABC fluid level in the tank, siphoned out a couple of ounces of fluid to bring level back to spec on dipstick.

Car tracks tighter and corners noticably better; it was definitely worth the effort. Will post up some pics soon.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Pics, or it didn't happen.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 AMG SL55, 2002 AMG CLK55, 2002 AMG ML55, 2005 ML350, 1995 S320 LWB - totaled
Originally Posted by NCE500
Finally got my SL lowered last week, via STAR, at my indie.

We ended up doing the "medium" setting, which drops the car about 1.5 inches all around, front fenders are now 2 fingers over the tire tops, rears are a tight 3 fingers. Looks great, quite noticable visually, don't think I'd go much lower for a street driven car.

The STAR menu offered three settings, stock, medium, and low. IMO low looked "slammed" cool, but the front bumper was just too low to be practical.

Apparently low is also a little more tricky with regard to eliminating "ABC visit workshop" error messages at startup, although it can be done with some creative axle angle values.

Probably old news to most here, but confirmed 2 things:

Lowering does alter alignment camber and toe settings, we re-aligned rear and front toe settings at inside edge of spec, left camber alone, now a little more negative, which is just fine.

Lowering does increase ABC fluid level in the tank, siphoned out a couple of ounces of fluid to bring level back to spec on dipstick.

Car tracks tighter and corners noticably better; it was definitely worth the effort. Will post up some pics soon.
Very interested in how ride quality is affected as well?
Looking forward to pictures and answers.
Thanks -O