SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New (Happy) Owner - Help with Tuning & Parts - Many thanks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Estate
Cool New (Happy) Owner - Help with Tuning & Parts - Many thanks

Hi all,

Just bought myself a lovely 2003 SL55 AMG in Silver, 56,000 miles and immaculate. Swapped my 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST for it, best deal I've done this year! Build quality on the RRS is almost laughable compared to the SL!

Just wanted some help with where to source parts from, I'm based in central London, UK. Also have a few tech questions.

1) Looking for a little more power as bored already, have noticed pulley upgrades to run a little more boost & remaps from the likes of Eurocharged, Kleeman etc

Any advice on who is best to use, noticed a few posts on issues with Eurocharged pulleys, is this correct?

2) After a good blast the supercharger won't kick in until I let her cool a little, put this down to the charge cooler pump. From what I've read the OEM pumps don't fair too well over time. Looking to get a Johnson CM 30 upgraded pump, is this the one to go for?

3) What about heat exchangers, worth adding a secondary unit up front or will I be okay with the stock unit?

4) Where can I find the front spolier lip and rear boot spolier, think these came on the SL63? Don't want Carbon want them to be colour matched in silver.

5) Front end feels a little loose, was think maybe wishbone bushes? Just has a tendancy to follow the road ruts a little. Tires are all near brand new Pirellis, tires pressures are good and geo is also fine. Think either track rods or wishbone bushes. How many ball joints are there down there? I know the ones on the struts are a pain as you need to replace the entire shock absorber but the previous owner replaced all 4 shocks 3 months ago so can't be those.

6) I have a really annoying noise that is apparent between 2500 - 3500 rpm when slowing down, kinda reverberates and makes a strange noise which sounds like it's coming from the glovebox but on close inpsection just in front of the firewall engine bay side. Like a groaning sound but only between those rev ranges.

7) Lastly, wheel choice, have the 18's at the mo (turbines). Will going to 19's ruin the driver feel, really don't want worse tramlining but think looks wise will be much better. Thinking of the late shape wheels from the 2007 SL55, like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-AMG-MER...item415eb49e83

Probably a bit boring for some but I want them to look factory.

Any thoughts appreciated.

8) Lastly, lowering the car. My mechanic has the Merc star system, can the car be lowered using this and is it easy? I don't want to ruin the ride without being able to go back. He says he has never done it but will try for me. Any pointers greatly appreciated!

-------------

Excuse the long post, will be driving you all mad for years to come!

Cheers

Toby
Old 11-10-2011, 01:34 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Monky
Hi all,

Just bought myself a lovely 2003 SL55 AMG in Silver, 56,000 miles and immaculate. Swapped my 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST for it, best deal I've done this year! Build quality on the RRS is almost laughable compared to the SL!

Just wanted some help with where to source parts from, I'm based in central London, UK. Also have a few tech questions.

1) Looking for a little more power as bored already, have noticed pulley upgrades to run a little more boost & remaps from the likes of Eurocharged, Kleeman etc

Any advice on who is best to use, noticed a few posts on issues with Eurocharged pulleys, is this correct?

we did have some issues back in the day, but a lot of the times its due to improper installation. Use the standard mercedes instructions for pulley install and you will be fine. Our tune is one of the top out there, and we don't charge the mercedes tax that a lot of the other tuners seem to.

2) After a good blast the supercharger won't kick in until I let her cool a little, put this down to the charge cooler pump. From what I've read the OEM pumps don't fair too well over time. Looking to get a Johnson CM 30 upgraded pump, is this the one to go for?

yes, or the newer oem pump.

3) What about heat exchangers, worth adding a secondary unit up front or will I be okay with the stock unit?

our HE replaces the stock unit up front and allows for more fun time without heat soak. OEM is fine, but if your adding a big pulley you will want to upgrade your cooling.

4) Where can I find the front spolier lip and rear boot spolier, think these came on the SL63? Don't want Carbon want them to be colour matched in silver.

check the for sale threads. There are some vendors there that handle the carbon stuff.

5) Front end feels a little loose, was think maybe wishbone bushes? Just has a tendancy to follow the road ruts a little. Tires are all near brand new Pirellis, tires pressures are good and geo is also fine. Think either track rods or wishbone bushes. How many ball joints are there down there? I know the ones on the struts are a pain as you need to replace the entire shock absorber but the previous owner replaced all 4 shocks 3 months ago so can't be those.

there are a few who have replaced the bushings and had success. I have a e55 and no problems with looseness.

6) I have a really annoying noise that is apparent between 2500 - 3500 rpm when slowing down, kinda reverberates and makes a strange noise which sounds like it's coming from the glovebox but on close inpsection just in front of the firewall engine bay side. Like a groaning sound but only between those rev ranges.

is it only on startup and goes away after a bit? If so thats the smog pump.

7) Lastly, wheel choice, have the 18's at the mo (turbines). Will going to 19's ruin the driver feel, really don't want worse tramlining but think looks wise will be much better. Thinking of the late shape wheels from the 2007 SL55, like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-AMG-MER...item415eb49e83

Probably a bit boring for some but I want them to look factory.

Any thoughts appreciated.

not bad, but there are a ton of options out there

8) Lastly, lowering the car. My mechanic has the Merc star system, can the car be lowered using this and is it easy? I don't want to ruin the ride without being able to go back. He says he has never done it but will try for me. Any pointers greatly appreciated!

yes, it is pretty easy to do! There is a diy on the e55 stickey section

Toby
Old 11-11-2011, 12:07 PM

C63 Estate
Many thanks for the reply.

Had a look in the for sale section but couldn't see any splitters or rear lip spoilers for sale, do any companies sell them? Found some on eBay but only in Carbon unless I paint over the carbon. What about buying direct from Merc, are the SL63 front splitters & rear lip spoilers a direct fit?

Re the looseness I'm wondering if it's a trait of the SL being a convertible? Just feels a bit loose through the steering wheel, like when you go over ruts in the road or bumps, will get my mechanic to inspect the bushing. I'm obsessed with cars being tight! Can't stand old loose cars!

The noise I hear is not when you turn the car on, but when in motion. In basic your travelling at 50mph, you take foot of the accelerator and change down to 2nd gear, as the revs drop as the car slows between 3500RPM & 2500RPM there is a reverberation that sounds like it's a squeak from the glovebox but I've opened the glovebox and it still does it. Think its at the back of the engine bay where the glovebox would be behind the firewall, RHD car by the way

Think I'm gonna go for the AMG rims that I linked too earlier, should look good. Either those or the 19" turbine style ones you see on the new one.

Thanks for the info though, will be ordering your pulley kit, Johnson pump & HE kit

Oh and I'll check out the instructions for lowering in the E55 section.

Any other advice appreciated.

Cheers

Toby
Old 11-11-2011, 12:14 PM

C63 Estate
Forgot to ask, where can I get some white side light and white fog light bulbs, want to get rid of the yellowness but don't want any dash errors, any ideas?

Cheers

T
Old 11-11-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 Lamborghini Diablo, 2009 SL65 (sold), 1998 CL600 (sold), 1989 560SEL (sold)
Congrats on the purchase. Sounds like you'll need some front suspension work. The car should track and steer tightly. It was designed to be a convertible. I've never seen a review that faulted the car for too much flex.

Check out the E55 forum, most of the 55 tuning discusions are over there.