SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Vario roof problem after fixing flappy panel.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, 2010 W212 E350, 1990 W201 190E, 2019 Volvo V90 R design, Golf GTi
Vario roof problem after fixing flappy panel.....

As above been using my SL over the summer with no roof problems up until about a month ago where I had the usual 'flappy panel' issue where the drivers side (pass. side in US!) flap was sagging and not tripping the microswitch causing the hood to stop working.

So I replaced the part with a new item, no probs etc and it was fine for a few weeks, then when opening the trunk I noticed it had dropped again. If I held the flap and moved it I could lower it right down, it sounded like it was jumping the teeth within the mechanism? So, I stripped it down and re-fitted and no difference. There seemed to be plenty of teeth on both sides. After this I managed to tighten the flap up even more by removing the microswitches on the side, loosening the two bolts holding the mechanism together and moving the flap so the cog with the teeth on went round another notch. Great I thought, all sorted. Fitted back together and the flap was nice and tight against the trunk lid. Tried the hood and after it moved about halfway down it locked into a position (as if the cogs were too tight?). I tried opening, closing etc but the hood didnt want to know. I took the key out and let gravity lower the roof but the flap was in the way :S. (mate had to hold the hood up!).

Only way I could get the hood down was to remove the flap completely, refit the microswitch and put a piece of tape over the switch fooling the car that the flap was in its correct position. With the tape on the hood lowered perfectly. Due to this I know its not any pumps or anything (thank god!), but I've got a feeling it might be something to do with the cable etc? Does anyone have a drawing or anything or info about how the flaps moves and what moves the Barden cables? Something else it may be is where the flat toothed part is within the new replacement part. How do I know where to screw the metal piece up to on the barden cable? Have I done it too low and the flat cogged bit is hitting the bottom of the metal replacement part?!

Sorry its long winded!
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, 2010 W212 E350, 1990 W201 190E, 2019 Volvo V90 R design, Golf GTi
Well found the problem after stripping it all down yesterday. Where the 2 barden cables meet in the middle of the lid they go into a black plastic box, within the box as the 2 flat toothed edges, 1 on the end of each cable, and they are driven by a round metal cogs which is powered by a motor. Well, the metal cog (about an inch in diameter) only has 2 teeth left on it!! SHould be about 20!!).

Anyone had this problem before? I've called the main dealer for a price on the part and I have to buy the whole assembly (£453 - about $700!!!). I only want the cog! Secondly are the SLK roof's the same as the SL's function wise (both being Vario)? I may be able to find one in a scrap yard somewhere!