SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 possible purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ahhh, gotcha. Sorry about that!

Enjoy the warm weather....I'm in Doylestown, it's like 50+ here today!

Bruce
Old 12-31-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 IS350C
Hey Bruce, you are not far from me at all! I am just over the N.E. Extension from you in a little old place called Upper Pottsgrove.

It was a nice day and I was going to take the Night-Rod out for a spin but it just starting to sprinkle out my way so perhaps tomorrow as I think it is going to be warm again! I took up to much of today getting the plow and chains on the JD tractor so I know it won't snow this winter now and will be very mild.

Couple pics of other toys:
2006 HD Night Rod

1995 3000GT Spyder SL
Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Sorry about the wild goose chase I sent you guys on with Michael Case. Hopefully you will be able to find a reasonable warranty.

Another option would be to take the money you would spend on a warranty and set it aside as a repair fund. There are now cost effective solutions to some of the more costly R230 repairs such as struts and loose fuel baffle. With the help of this forum and a good indy, you could get many of these repairs done for a reasonable price.

Hey Mark, nice toys by the way Are you keeping the 3000 GT?

Last edited by cal1; 01-01-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:02 PM

2011 IS350C
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cal1
Hey Mark, nice toys by the way Are you keeping the 3000 GT?
Not sure yet... it depends on how much I like the SL55 when it gets here.

The Spyder is going to be a collectors item soon as there were not many of them made but it would be nice to recoup some of the money I just spent on the SL55. I will wait until spring and then decide.

So a friend from work snapped a shot of this AMG from the rear but I am not sure which model it is?

Old 01-01-2012, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
^ That is a freaking SLS. It is one sweet car. It has gull wing doors and the 6.3 NA engine. I drove one at Road Atlanta during an AMG driving academy event two summers ago. In fact, I might have the dubious honor of driving the first SLS that was puked in. We had been driving on the track all day and it was very hot. I took the SLS out for another run and after about two laps, my driving partner riding in the passenger seat at the time started getting sick. I was thinking no way dude, your are not going to get sick in this sweet car. I dynamited the brakes and pulled off the track. The guy opened to door and started blowing chunks. I just about pushed him out the door so he would not get any on this beautiful ride. He wasn't very happy about it.

Last edited by cal1; 01-01-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 01-01-2012, 12:42 PM

2011 IS350C
^ That is a freaking SLS. It is one sweet car. It has gull wing doors and the 6.3 NA engine. I drove one at Road Atlanta during an AMG driving academy event two summers ago. In fact, I might have the dubious honor of driving the first SLS that was puked in. We had been driving on the track all day and it was very hot. I took the SLS out for another run and after about two laps, my driving partner riding in the passenger seat at the time started getting sick. I was thinking no way dude, your are not going to get sick in this sweet car. I dynamited the brakes and pulled off the track. The guy opened to door and started blowing chunks. I just about pushed him out the door so he would not get any on this beautiful ride. He wasn't very happy about it.
Thanks for making me laugh this first day of 2012!

Found YouTube of SLS:
http://youtu.be/Ism7-6CRvF4
Old 01-01-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl55 AMG
Thoughts on a Warranty

I bought my 04 SL55 about 4 months ago, excellent shape and low milage. After the purchase and $1500 to get it caught up on its maintenance I thought a warranty would be wise. So I signed up for a 5yr/75K miles policy for $6300. I made it past the 1000 mile non-pre-existing problem period then trouble starting to occur. Since then the car has been dividing time between my garage and the dealers. So far repair cost has been rather low, only $5000 and my end was about $500. I haven't even had the ABC or IC pump issues yet.

I really love the car, I love the looks better than the new one and performance is good. But I would recommend to anyone thinking about this car should get a extended warranty. These non-maintance annoyances can be expensive.

Good luck and cheers,
Old 01-01-2012, 04:16 PM

2005 SL 55
Congrats on the purchase, go out and get a after market warranty, I got a Chrysler warranty and it covers everything and its a no hassle if you have to use it. Ditch those stock wheels asap.
Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:54 PM

2011 IS350C
Believe me, I wish I could get a extended warranty at a reasonable price from a trustworthy company. But since Chrysler no longer sells them I am just going to put 10k away and hope for the best. But hey.. I still have to take delivery of the car! Then I will take it and have it checked over... And then I will go from there... Heck I still have not even driven a SL55 yet... I did drive one SLK55 and liked the power but not so much the ride of the car.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight
Believe me, I wish I could get a extended warranty at a reasonable price from a trustworthy company. But since Chrysler no longer sells them I am just going to put 10k away and hope for the best. But hey.. I still have to take delivery of the car! Then I will take it and have it checked over... And then I will go from there... Heck I still have not even driven a SL55 yet... I did drive one SLK55 and liked the power but not so much the ride of the car.
I bought my SL pretty much the same way as you are. I had never driven one. I fell in love with the car after just a few miles into the drive home. I still love it today.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:18 PM

2011 IS350C
Question When will it arrive????

I sure wish I was driving mine now! Anyone live near Rolling Meadows, IL that can stop by and have them ship my SL55 that I have already paid for?!?!? Exotic Motors gets all my money and then it is like... "Mark?, Mark who?"

Come'on already!!! Ship me my car already!!! I want to

Plus I still have so much more I have to do after I get it here... like register it in PA, get it inspected, take i to C.S. Cantlin MB Service for a in-depth diagnostics, then take it for a nice long drive.... well you get the idea... I mean really how many more days till the end of the world???
Old 01-03-2012, 05:19 PM

2011 IS350C
Question

I bought my SL pretty much the same way as you are. I had never driven one. I fell in love with the car after just a few miles into the drive home. I still love it today.
What year is your SL? And were are your pics of it?
Old 01-03-2012, 05:36 PM

2007 SL55, 2014 C300, 2015 C350
Plus I still have so much more I have to do after I get it here... like register it in PA, get it inspected, take i to C.S. Cantlin MB Service for a in-depth diagnostics, then take it for a nice long drive....
Don't forget...the 6% PA sales tax
Old 01-03-2012, 05:40 PM

2011 IS350C
Angry

Originally Posted by shnitzel
Don't forget...the 6% PA sales tax
Yep, already calculated that wall... $1788 of solid brick... so much for my $28K car I was shopping for... lol Good thing the world is ending Dec 21 or I would be really mad about all this!!!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
What year is your SL? And were are your pics of it?
Mine is an 03. I bought it about four years. She's a stocker on the outside except for the tint. All my mods are go fast mods. I have a Renntech heat exchanger, IC pump and 178 mm pulley. Also, shorty headers, 80mm throttle body, phenolic spacers on the SC and the intakes, secondary cat delete and a dyno tune courtesy of Jerry at eurocharged.

I will be adding a fuel rail and injectors this spring. I am not sure if you have seen any of the blown engine threads, but it has become quite evident that people with 55k engines modded to near 500 WHP most likely need the fuel rail and injector mod to protect #8 cylinder from going lean under certain WOT situations.

Here are a few picks below and a link to what my car sounds like. It is actually louder. The cheap little Flip didn't pick up the sound that well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd3Tf..._order&list=UL

Old 01-03-2012, 09:51 PM

2011 IS350C
Thumbs up

Very nice! The color... Is that gold or champaign? The two shots show it in different light so it is hard for me to tell. The sound video is pretty good!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Very nice! The color... Is that gold or champaign? The two shots show it in different light so it is hard for me to tell. The sound video is pretty good!
The color is Pewter metalic. it is amazing how it looks under different lighting conditions. the second photo is the most realistic color. If I recall correctly, I took the first photo with a polarizing filter and it was near sunset lighting which led to the goldish look.

You can really see the HE mod through the lower grill on the first photo.

Last edited by cal1; 01-03-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:09 PM

2011 IS350C
Question

The color is Pewter metalic. it is amazing how it looks under different lighting conditions. the second photo is the most realistic color. If I recall correctly, I took the first photo with a polarizing filter and it was near sunset lighting which led to the goldish look.

You can really see the HE mod through the lower grill on the first photo.
Well I must say, I like that color and it looks like stock rims? Do they have AMG stamped on them? Is Pewter Metalic hard to keep clean? I know black is a pain but it just looks so damn nice when it is polished up.

So it looks like my car is shipping out from Illinois tomorrow but will not be delivered to my door until Sunday night.... man talk about a looonnnggggg weekend this is going to be.

Last edited by DigitalKnight; 01-05-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 PM

2011 IS350C
Well, after all this time, the SL55 finally arrived! It came in on a very large car carrier.... to large in fact to get into and out of my development so I had to drive to the local shopping center to pick it up. But that was ok as then I got to drive it home.... first time driving one... and I must say it is much better then the SLK55 as far as, ride comfort and interior room and comfort. And the thing gets up and goes! Traction control kicked in a few times. Now I guess I have to read the manual... I did figure out the Keyless go... you have to put your foot on the brake before it will start when you hit the button! Duhh... ;-)

Here are two pics of it in my nice warm garage:

Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 PM

2007 SL55, 2014 C300, 2015 C350
Congrats! Maybe I'll see you cruising down 422. Or maybe not...that road is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Awesome, great looking car. I was pretty sure you were going to love it. Hopefully you will get some favorable weather so you can enjoy your new ride. It is going to be 50 here in Milwaukee today. I'm breaking out my SL. She has been sleeping with the trickle charger on since mid-November and I am dying of torque withdrawal.

To answer your questions above albeit late. Yep, my wheels have an AMG stamp near the edge of the rim. Pewter seems to be one of the easier colors to care for. It doesn't show swirls like black and looks OK when it is a bit dirty. It looks best when super clean and in bright sunlight. The sunlight really makes the metallic flecks and depth of color pop.

Congratulations! Enjoy that ride when you can.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
DK Looking good!! Have fun getting to know her!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 PM

2011 IS350C
Thumbs up

Awesome, great looking car. I was pretty sure you were going to love it. Hopefully you will get some favorable weather so you can enjoy your new ride. It is going to be 50 here in Milwaukee today. I'm breaking out my SL. She has been sleeping with the trickle charger on since mid-November and I am dying of torque withdrawal.

To answer your questions above albeit late. Yep, my wheels have an AMG stamp near the edge of the rim. Pewter seems to be one of the easier colors to care for. It doesn't show swirls like black and looks OK when it is a bit dirty. It looks best when super clean and in bright sunlight. The sunlight really makes the metallic flecks and depth of color pop.

Congratulations! Enjoy that ride when you can.
Thanks! Looks like it is going to be warm around S.E. Pa tomorrow so you can bet I will be taking a spin.... long one in fact as they can not due the emissions
test until I clear one more code? Guess the battery was off at one time or went dead at one time....
Old 01-11-2012, 07:49 PM

2011 IS350C
Thumbs up So many buttons!!!

Originally Posted by kustom2k1
DK Looking good!! Have fun getting to know her!
Yea, it looks like that is the real challenge now isn't it! lol

Been ready the owners manual and the handy little Quick Tips.... guess I will have to due some searching around here also as the thing has a connector in the glove box and one near the driver side pillar? Not sure if they are stock or after market add-ons? Also does the radio do Blue-tooth or Aux in for Pandora from my smart phone?

First thing I figured out was how to put the top down! Then took is for a short trip down the road and right back to the garage.... to cold...

Love the sound of the engine, love the ride, still need to take it on some nice curvy roads to see how she handles and see of I can get the roll bar to pop and scare the crap out of me or my passenger...