SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Planning a trip to the dragstrip soon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55
Planning a trip to the dragstrip soon

Looking for some input from the experienced guys.

Ive read the drag racing 101 thread in the e55 forum. Back in the late 80/early 90s I did my fair share of drag racing with an old IROC, so most of what was in that thread was a good refresher. But what I'd like to know what is the best way to launch these cars? With the torque and hp I'd imagine they've got to be a handful. Is there a consensus on how to do it? Traction control on or off? RPMs? Whats the trick?

Also, should I be manually shifting, or leave it in "D" and let the trans do the work? Anytime I shift manually on the street, it doesn't seem to shift too crisply unless Im out on back roads. In a straight line its sloppy. Maybe letting the technology do its thing is best?

All of these questions were no-brainers 20 years ago with the Camaro, but this is an entirely different beast.

Oh, and the car is on 20's. How is this going to effect everything? I'd imagine its going to slow me down a bit.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has got advice. And please don't reply to use the search bar and seek out other threads. Ive done that and don't feel like sifting through all of the hits that I will get. Im just looking for some quick tips/input.

Thanks guys.