SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: AMG sound ……low resonance ……… how low should it be ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
AMG sound ……low resonance ……… how low should it be ?

I have just got my car back from MB for an “A” service and two repairs issues … (turned out to be three)

First of was the idling. Since I bought the car it has had an issue with suddenly slipping the idling. I mostly occurred when slipping the gas pedal at low speed (1. or 2. gear) and I felt like the car was going one gear down. The idling became uneven since the motor didn’t run on all cylinders – at least it sounded like that. When I then stopped the engine and started again it all went back to normal. This fault kept coming more and more often and diagnostic told it was a pressure sensor (A0061539828) which was at fault. The pressure sensor came at 80$ but the job to replace it was in the region of 1.400$ due to the fact, that the little devil was located way down behind the engine at the firewall. They had to take the whole compressor apart to get to it.

Well; so much for that – now for the real issue here. When I picked up my car, then I at once could hear a big different in the sound. The low frequency I was use to was gone. Now don’t misunderstand me. It’s still AMG sound but much smoother and the very deep sound is now just deep. Before I could hear the compressor “hammering” away out there like a wild beast locked up in a small cage …… hmmmm …. and a deep deep sound from the exhaust - sometimes I did think it was a little too much – sometimes it was so deep you could hear plastic and other interior giving sound from them due to that low frequency …..…. but what the hell – AMG right?

So; when driving the car and going for a kick-down it also felt like there is missing some torque …. I see the rpm needle go all the way over there but fell like it’s a little slow to react …. on the other hand the engine is running more smooth now and this feature of how the car/throttle reacts on your driving style really comes to life. Going slow and easy – the car react slow …. going fast and hard – the car reacts quick and fast (except on kick downs and I do hit the little button at the floor) but maybe it's just me who has a new engine to get use to.

In all I think the engine is supposed to be like it is now and the way it was before was wrong …. but how I’m to know for sure? Not easy to go back to MB and telling them to give me my sound back?

Any suggestion on how to figure out if my car now have the correct sound ?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Sorry mate, I think you are asking an impossible question, I have had problems like this, I
am not sure whether some of it is psychological I usually just forget mine and it goes away
eventually.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
I have just been driving 500 miles to get to work and I guess youre right - it's psychological
My engine have the correct sound now - no doubt - but it is as I said a new car to drive - it takes a little time but guess when I'm back home again I will have the right feeling ......... also ..... it acutely runs much longer on a tank of gas almost 50 miles!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
I knew I should have stayed quiet.