SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Braking question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
Question Braking question

I know Sensotronic Brake Control eliminates the pulsing break pedal of traditional ABS, yet I wonder whether the system is really working in my SL55. When I brake hard from high speed on dry pavement my tires consistently produce a loud screeching that sounds like the wheels could be locking up. I suppose I could experiment to see whether I can still steer the car under hard, high-speed braking, but I hesitate to cause my driving to look worse than it already is. Perhaps the screeching occurs when the SBC computer does some fancy threshold braking with a fair amount of tire slip. Does anyone else here get tire noise under hard braking? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: Braking question

Originally posted by sillydriver
I know Sensotronic Brake Control eliminates the pulsing break pedal of traditional ABS, yet I wonder whether the system is really working in my SL55. When I brake hard from high speed on dry pavement my tires consistently produce a loud screeching that sounds like the wheels could be locking up. I suppose I could experiment to see whether I can still steer the car under hard, high-speed braking, but I hesitate to cause my driving to look worse than it already is. Perhaps the screeching occurs when the SBC computer does some fancy threshold braking with a fair amount of tire slip. Does anyone else here get tire noise under hard braking? Thanks.
I get tons of tire noise while braking (not on an SL55) but it is due to the Z-rated tires. Pirelli is especially known for their noisy tires, more so when they have about 5k+ on them. BTW, u coming to our Boston meet next weekend? Check the events/gathering forum for details.