SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Upcoming C2Design/AMGfan Wide Body Build

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by overZealous1
got any pics of the porsche?
The build thread is 6 pages now...enjoy...really proud of this build.

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/..._fromsearch__1
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl55 amg
looks good man. so was this round on the porsche only interior?

this is probably redundant, but how do you like the gtr? i REALLY think i need one. i know the engine inside and out ( i used to build and design race vq35's) and just think it is a great all around car that can be a frigging beast with mods!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
looks good man. so was this round on the porsche only interior?

this is probably redundant, but how do you like the gtr? i REALLY think i need one. i know the engine inside and out ( i used to build and design race vq35's) and just think it is a great all around car that can be a frigging beast with mods!
On the 993, we changed the color from Artic Silver to Polar Silver...all Euro spec front and rear bumpers (no bumperettes)...Turbo S front lip and brake cooling ducts. Larger turbos, race cats, new exhaust, upgraded suspension, BBS LM's, and upgraded rubber.

The GT-R is a beast...the video below is on race fuel. This is after the first round of Switzer mods...it'll be faster in a bit.

I went overboard but a GTR with around 700-800hp would be an all around Beast...mine is a little bit north of twice that much...overkill but life is too short.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 E500 (RIP), W211 E350 (Sold), R230 SL55 (Current)
AMGfan that is your GTR in the vid?!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RaFFi ///AMG
AMGfan that is your GTR in the vid?!
Yessir...John Shepherd is driving it...the owner of Sheptrans...the builder of the transmission on my GT-R transmission. That was on the test run of the GT-R before they sent it off to me.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 PM

Amazing!!

I want to know what the G-force feels like sitting in a car that does 0-60 in 2.2 secs!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
frigging awesome gtr amgfan! amazing from a v6 and totally streetable. last time i saw i know they have been knocking on the door of the lambos and vipers on the mile. may just be a matter of time.

edit- don't want to forget the supras ofcourse. last time i saw they were second fastest for cars!

Last edited by overZealous1; 01-23-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 PM

SL55 AMG
Hell Yeah! That is SIIICK!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by AMGfan
On the 993, we changed the color from Artic Silver to Polar Silver...all Euro spec front and rear bumpers (no bumperettes)...Turbo S front lip and brake cooling ducts. Larger turbos, race cats, new exhaust, upgraded suspension, BBS LM's, and upgraded rubber.

The GT-R is a beast...the video below is on race fuel. This is after the first round of Switzer mods...it'll be faster in a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVsX8mPGcf0

I went overboard but a GTR with around 700-800hp would be an all around Beast...mine is a little bit north of twice that much...overkill but life is too short.
WTF Sooooo SICK Jon!! 1000 rwhp on 91 & 1300 on race gas damn just damnnnnnn...

PS I spy those CCW's nice... Just ordered a new set of 18"s for SL

Last edited by Thericker; 01-24-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Why is the GT-R 300 Lbs Heavier ?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 PM

Custom audio, interior upholstery, etc...
Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e63 NA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVsX8mPGcf0

OMG that was the sickest video lol. You are my new hero
Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm excited...the new leather sample came in today from the distributor we use. It's the same source that Pagani uses for its Huayra... I haven't seen it in person yet...Chris@C2Design sent me these pics and told me that it is more luxurious in person. We plan to take the sample to Mercedes next week to put up against some MB exterior colors...still leaning towards MB Paladium but we'll have a better idea once we have the sample against real paint. Other contenders might be MB Obsidian black or, Porsche Basalt Black, or even a dark midnight blue. We will figure it out...

Here are the pics of the leather...as Pagani said himself...its a leather that a high end boutique bag would be made of...

From the leather representative:

"The special treatment is called 'sauvage'. (This term is used a lot where it doesn't belong.) I can tell you more about it when you get the leather.

Sauvage is incredibly complicated and involved. It's this that creates the subtle 'spotted' look. Be sure to really handle the leather; stretch it over your knuckles, and give it a gentle crumple, the more you play the more character you'll see.

One thing you'll notice right away: the inside of the leather is not saturated with colour. 'Wet blue' is the term meaning that the hide is only given the initial tanning process that preserves the hide, nothing further. From 'wet blue' the sauvage treatment is very delicate so they don't actually fully saturate the leather with the dye as it would become too dark. There are many more steps beyond that.

This leather is totally unprotected - as natural as it gets. So, it will be absolutely stunning, and only become more so as it ages. But, your client will need to be extremely careful with it. Spills on this stuff will mark badly
."

Here is the leather in the Pagani Huayra...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
Jon, you need to find a SL thats Palladium so you can match your colors against it. Find one thats local, so you can get to it easily.
Attached Thumbnails Upcoming C2Design/AMGfan Wide Body Build-hpim6723.jpg   Upcoming C2Design/AMGfan Wide Body Build-hpim6719.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
The end of the video "my dear God, WHAT THE FAWK?!!" The exchange between Rick and Shep
Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM

W124 E280 95
Awesome Build, looking forward to the updates.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DCMETRO22Z
Why is the GT-R 300 Lbs Heavier ?
Mainly associated with the interior upgrades...sound dampening material on ALL the interior panels, audio equipment w/sub enclosure and new speaker baffles/panels, all plastic covered in alcantara, new leather...

Also...bigger turbos, intercoolers, etc...

Overall, I'm very happy with the setup...it has 8 ECU settings (4 on 93 octane and 4 on race fuel)...on the CURRENT setup...day to day driving I usually stay on the lowest setting at around 700-750awhp...kill mode...close to 1100awhp on 93 octane.

For road racing...staying on the lower settings keeps it manageable and completely agile.

I can tell you at kill mode on 93octane...passing a car is mind blowing...you have to recalibrate your internal depth perception to factor in the acceleration OR you will run into the rear of the car in front of you. Reaction times need adjustment.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Mainly associated with the interior upgrades...sound dampening material on ALL the interior panels, audio equipment w/sub enclosure and new speaker baffles/panels, all plastic covered in alcantara, new leather...

Also...bigger turbos, intercoolers, etc...

Overall, I'm very happy with the setup...it has 8 ECU settings (4 on 93 octane and 4 on race fuel)...on the CURRENT setup...day to day driving I usually stay on the lowest setting at around 700-750awhp...kill mode...close to 1100awhp on 93 octane.

For road racing...staying on the lower settings keeps it manageable and completely agile.

I can tell you at kill mode on 93octane...passing a car is mind blowing...you have to recalibrate your internal depth perception to factor in the acceleration OR you will run into the rear of the car in front of you. Reaction times need adjustment.
Awesome Sentence !!! ahhahaah

I check this thread daily for news about your SL65... Can't wait for the final photoshoot.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The SL is in pieces and initial fitting of body parts has been done...SOOOO much bodywork is being done to make things right. BUT it wasn't unexpected...and they are doing it right the first time. Multiple coats of priming are needed, after all the additional body filler are done to keep the lines in check, then block sanding will be needed to even out the waves on the existing body panels...especially the front bumper and all of the hood.

When they attached the hood and put it in the closed position you will see that the front quarter panels were too low so they had to be built up and a portion of the hood had to be shaved to get the gap lines tight.

Major work but doing it right the first time will be worth it...at least for me. It looks like hell right now but I'm used to the storm and the calm afterwards is very rewarding.

FRONT BUMPER - filling in bumper holes for the headlight washers...they didn't ship enough front grill mesh for the lower bumper so we are dealing with that...not a big issue.

SL63 Updated headlights test fitment...

FRONT Quarter panel...see how much they had to build up the top portion to meet the hood...they still have more work on it to get it right. Thankfully, this body shop (Mirek Auto Body) does full concourse restorations on vintage Porsches...they did my GT-R, repainted my 993 Turbo (from Artic Silver to Polar Silver), and will be doing my 997tt cab GT2RS rear bumper conversion...SO I have full trust in their work. This guy is old school German...gotta love it.

FRONT and REAR fender flares...big difference...getting the right wheel and offset is key. I want it to sit right and fill in the rear wheel arch...it needs to look right and not anemic. PS...The Brembo big brake kit are going on (16" rotors) once it leaves the shop...painting the calipers Palladium Silver (ext color) and having the caliper lettering in interior color.

Da HOOD...we are deleting the hood emblem altogether to get a cleaner look...the SL65 single fin and huge star is enough.

Side NOTE: We decided to go all out with the interior...including trunk. Basically sticking with the Pagani leather (see previous post) and concentrate on the stitching...so anything black/gray in the interior of the car will be transitioned to the Pagani leather or painted/dyed similar to the leather color.

The contrast we will try to get is with the deviated stitching and the carbon fiber...

Last edited by AMGfan; 02-18-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
Not expected from Prior Design. Is that C2's bodyshop?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kustom2k1
Not expected from Prior Design. Is that C2's bodyshop?
To be honest with you, we haven't come across many body kits that don't need work. The one that doesn't is the exception and not the rule.

Mirek isn't owned by C2Design...it's just their go to body shop. The work they did on the GT-R and 993 Turbo was fantastic...
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
looks like you have a good amount of work also for fitment. how is the sides of headlight fitment? any other weirdnesses?

i have been very patient but i am nearing the end of all my stuff and looking to shoot primer this weekend. possibly start doing color the following weekend.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

looks like you have a good amount of work also for fitment. how is the sides of headlight fitment? any other weirdnesses?

i have been very patient but i am nearing the end of all my stuff and looking to shoot primer this weekend. possibly start doing color the following weekend.
oZ...most of the fitment issues are with the front quarters and hood...but that can be fixed to have even gap lines. Fortunately the driver's side rocker fitment with the front and rear fender flares were pretty decent.

We are all on the same page with what we want with fitment issues...I don't want uneven gap lines. Luckily, Chris@C2 and Mirek are both **** retentive about stuff leaving their shops. Mirek does concourse quality restorations so he is fully prepared to do what is needed to get correct fitment. Chris won't accept anything less from Mirek...

On our initial walk through today, Mirek didn't seem too worried about the headlights sitting right. Most of the discussion was the hood/quarter panel fitment and the waves on the hood. I'll let you guys know more at my next visit...the good and the bad.

At least between the wide body builds we are putting up people can see what they are getting into...
Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 AM

Is that hood from prior also?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
lol. yup, might scare some away, haha. i am doing alot of custom stuff on mine, so it is taking even longer but will make it unique and get some of my own design into the car. i have spent many hours getting the contours and body lines/gaps correct. pleased to say at this point it is rivaling or better than the stock panels. just takes time and patience!
mine would be going so much faster if i wasn't trying to preserve some sort of cleanliness to my garage! sanding bondo and grinding fiberglass will mess up a room stat!! everytime i make a mess, i will sweep and clean right after. the garage still looks like a hurricane of flour flew in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Upcoming C2Design/AMGfan Wide Body Build