SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: My driving impressions after latest upgrades on my SL 55

Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Thumbs up My driving impressions after latest upgrades on my SL 55

Just got my car back from the shop today....had the eurocharged 180 mm pulley, kleemann headers, shardul belt wrap kit, fresh oil filter change, new starter battery, new auxiliary fan, new idler pulley, new sc belt, etc.. along with a fresh jerry tune for my ecu and tcu.....for those thinking of getting the belt wrap kit or headers or pulley....get it. this car, along with my other upgrades on the car, like the eurocharged throttle body, fuel injectors, spark plugs, heat exchanger, cm30 ic pump, phenolic spacers, quaife lsd, high flow cat with deleted 2nd cats and resonator delete, ss brake lines with akebono ceramic pads and dot 4 brake fluid, have turned an already very fast stock amg into an absolute monster....this car is almost dangerous to drive, especially for an aggressive driver like me.

the headers have added a very mean and aggressive tone to the engine....the belt wrap kit has smoothed out the throttle...much better supercharger engagement......i have no idea how much horsepower and torque my car is putting out, but it feels much faster now than before the latest round of upgrades.....so the moral of the story is if any of you guys were on the fence about any of these upgrades, just do it, you wont regret it!

and shardul was right about the belt wrap kit enhancing the car at the upper rpm ranges....on the highway the car charges from 60 to 130 mph even much faster than before....my car was already very fast before, but it was never even close to being this fast in the upper rev ranges....1st and 2nd gear i cant drop the hammer at all its too much power....cant floor it until after 70 mph at least.....hope this helps guys....

Last edited by SL65amg; 12-06-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
Sounds like you have a BEAST! Did you go with a box or tuned on the dyno?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl55 amg
awesome!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Nice.. Now take it down the 1/4 mile
Old 12-07-2012, 02:13 AM

2015 SL63 AMG
just tell me how much it will cost me and I'll think about it!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Nice I am glad you like the belt wrap kit!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by kustom2k1
Sounds like you have a BEAST! Did you go with a box or tuned on the dyno?
My mechanic shop just sent it to Jerry and then he overnighted it back.....
Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by shardul
Nice I am glad you like the belt wrap kit!
yes I do love the belt wrap kit it's awesome!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
With all your mods, I would do a custom tune on the dyno. You should at least data log and send it off to Jerry for a look see.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:28 PM

You're right I probably should.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 55 AMG, BMW M Roadster, Holden Commodore SSV
Been reading all the info on this forum the past few week. Lots of great stuff by many contributors.

I must admit I laughed when I read this guys problem. Must be some build not to be able to stomp it until > 70 mph. I'm green with envy and would LOVE to have that problem!

Bill

Last edited by smithwn55; 02-11-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm here with my 2003 SL55 AMG, the latest edition to the fleet
Originally Posted by SL65amg
....the belt wrap kit has smoothed out the throttle...much better supercharger engagement......i have no idea how much horsepower and torque my car is putting out, but it feels much faster now than before the latest round of upgrades.....so the moral of the story is if any of you guys were on the fence about any of these upgrades, just do it, you wont regret it!

and shardul was right about the belt wrap kit enhancing the car at the upper rpm ranges....on the highway the car charges from 60 to 130 mph even much faster than before....my car was already very fast before, but it was never even close to being this fast in the upper rev ranges....1st and 2nd gear i cant drop the hammer at all its too much power....cant floor it until after 70 mph at least.....hope this helps guys....

Unfortunately with all of the mods done at once, I don't know that you can say that the belt wrap kit is whats responsible for one thing or another with confidence. The ECU reflash is likely more of a contributor to most of the improvements across the board.

I just received my Jerry-tune, and I'll compare notes. I'm flashing a stock SL55 w no other mods.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bdubblu
Unfortunately with all of the mods done at once, I don't know that you can say that the belt wrap kit is whats responsible for one thing or another with confidence. The ECU reflash is likely more of a contributor to most of the improvements across the board.

I just received my Jerry-tune, and I'll compare notes. I'm flashing a stock SL55 w no other mods.
I'm in exactly the same place as you, no MODS looking to build my toy.

Yes, please share your results, hopefully documented by before and after dyno pulls on the same unit.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
Originally Posted by smithwn55
Been reading all the info on this forum the past few week. Lots of great stuff by many contributors.

I must admit I laughed when I read this guys problem. Must be some build not to be able to stomp it until > 70 mph. I'm green with envy and would LOVE to have that problem!

Bill
Sounds like he needs better tires.

People barely drive these cars and when they sit high performance summer tires get hard fairly quick. I've been told summer tires regardless of tred usually go to **** after 4 years if not sooner. Never had a set that lasted 4 years so I never really tested that theory.

When I bought mine it appeared my Super Sports were almost new. I couldn't get on the gas for nothing. Even kick down 60 on the highway the rear end would wiggle everywhere. Turned out to be nothing but the tires turned hard from age. Put new tires on and night and day difference.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:21 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
Originally Posted by Bdubblu

Belt wrap kit does make a difference on these cars. Big power that these motors put out slippage is real thing.

I've seen some test floating around the internet showing how well the belt kits work as you work through the RPM's. In some RPM areas it added a full lb of boost.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by skylolow
Belt wrap kit does make a difference on these cars. Big power that these motors put out slippage is real thing.

I've seen some test floating around the internet showing how well the belt kits work as you work through the RPM's. In some RPM areas it added a full lb of boost.
I totally get it & believe that it makes a difference. I guess my point is that he did a bunch of upgrades and a tune. You can't attribute the results to the belt wrap kit though. Like feeling more boost is a result of the pulley and tune primarily. Although the belt wrap kit is doing it's job and contributing to those gains. See what I mean? It's not an isolated upgrade.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:31 PM

People barely drive these cars and when they sit high performance summer tires get hard fairly quick. I've been told summer tires regardless of tred usually go to **** after 4 years if not sooner. Never had a set that lasted 4 years so I never really tested that theory.

When I bought mine it appeared my Super Sports were almost new. I couldn't get on the gas for nothing. Even kick down 60 on the highway the rear end would wiggle everywhere. Turned out to be nothing but the tires turned hard from age. Put new tires on and night and day difference.
Yep, makes sense. Like you, never had a set of summer tires more than a few years.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:32 PM

I've never had a set of summers last longer than 2 seasons on my other performance car (because I don't drive it that much). Maybe like 12K miles? So I can't speak to the hardening of the tires either. The Pirelli PZeros that came on my SL have likely been on the car for a number of years. The SL has 20K miles on it... so they might be originals.. lol. They don't seem hardened and handle very well on this stock SL. But I usually leave the traction control on. That said... as I mentioned... I just got my Jerry-tune and we'll see how they hold up to an extra 100 ft.lbs and 50ish hp.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by smithwn55
I'm in exactly the same place as you, no MODS looking to build my toy.

Yes, please share your results, hopefully documented by before and after dyno pulls on the same unit.
Well I won't be putting it on the dyno. I do have the OBD2 plug in module and the torque app. So I can at least do a virtual dyno and get some anecdotal numbers.