SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Outrageous headlight behavior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 Mercedes SL55
Outrageous headlight behavior

So the headlights on my 2003 sl55 keep flashing and then go off. While parked passenger one would flash and when i start driving, putting load on the engine both would go off. Things I have done in an attempt to resolve the issue.

- Swapped the ballasts the issue does not follow the ballast unless both are partially damaged.

- Tested battery/alternator at a local auto zone. They recommended that I replace alternator. I replaced voltage regulator first. The issue was still there so I replaced the whole alternator. When looking at the alternator I noticed melted plastic on the back.

I do have led parking and turn signals from aznoptics and they give an error if I turn them on before the car turns on otherwise if I turn them on once the car I do not get an error.

In the past, I had ebay led parking and turn signal lights and had no problems with the headlights.

Next, I plan on moving the bulb to see if that is somehow related to the behavior.

Please let me know if you have experienced something like this or have any advice as to what could be wrong. Attached are some screenshots and a link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3v6PZJA8QU&feature=youtu.be
Attached Thumbnails Outrageous headlight behavior-20121223_171740.jpg