SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2003 SL55 no power / limp mode- with solution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
2003 SL55 no power / limp mode- with solution

I'm hoping this helps someone else who has a similar issue:

Last Saturday, I was out for a joy ride. I briefly toyed with a C6 before realizing that my car had almost no power. I got off the interstate and then found out that the car would barely pull away from a stop. Fully floored, it took about 3 seconds for the tires to even start moving. Even then, it was slower than any modern day production car. Heading back home, I thought the car would return to normal soon. Nope, so I pulled into a parking lot and restarted the car. Everything went back to normal. About 1/4 mi away from the house, I went WOT to see if it was just a hiccup. Same thing as before. Limp home mode. After researching on this forum, and emailing a few members, all fingers pointed to a faulty IC pump. That was my bet, as I recalled reading several posts here about the SL55 falling on it's face from a bad IC pump. I was then pissed at Bosch, since I recently (2 months ago) had their updated IC pump installed to prevent this issue. Later that night, I bought a cheap OBD 2 reader from Amazon for $20. On Tuesday, I found code P0123. When I searched for that code, I then realized that it was not the IC pump, but rather the pedal position sensor. Since I didn't want to wait any further, I paid the dealer markup for the part and installed it the same day. BINGO! No more code and FULL power again. I took a few pictures of the install, but I doubt anyone needs them. I have the bare minimum of tools and it took me 15 minutes from start to finish, mainly because I was looking for a 10mm socket and taking pics. It's probably a true 5 minute job.

So, it sounds like 95% of the time this issue happens, it will be due to a faulty IC pump. Hopefully this post will save someone the headache of buying and installing a new IC pump only to discover the problem is still there. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing with a faulty IC pump the car will get power back after the supercharger temp drops from driving around. With a bad pedal position sensor, the only way to get power back is to restart the car. I'm sure there's more issues that could cause a similar situation, but now you have a good starting point.....
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Good post.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Thanks for the info. Since my SL has experienced just about every malady known to the R230 except for this one, I just might pick up a sensor and toss it in the trunk. I am sure it is just a matter of time before mine craps out.

Because our cars are "throttle by wire" and no throttle cable, they have a number of safeties built in. The throttle body also has a positioning sensor and the ECU compares the throttle pedal position to the throttle body position. If anything is out of whack, it is no go. My 80 mm TB sucked a gasket once. The throttle could not completely close so on startup, I got red ESP warnings on the MFD. The car would not move. Once we got the gasket out, everything went back to normal.

As far as a bad IC pump shutting down the SC, you are exactly correct. The car will feel like a dog, but you could still walk a Prius . I recall reading the HP drops to around 300 when the SC is down.

hopefully you will see that C6 again.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Mine has 48k miles. The sensor is actually built into the gas pedal. Dealer price is $310, although online prices are around $80 cheaper. The good news is that you only need a 10mm socket to remove/replace the pedal, along with disconnecting/reconnecting the wiring harness.... A Prius would've walked me BAD that day. Thats how lousy the power was. lol