SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: blue top solenoids in trans

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-21-2023, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E320 4matic
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Well, it was 10 years ago, so my memory is a little foggy on this. IIRC, at the time I was switching from a stock 2003 valvebody (with brown tops) to a worked-over 2004 Valve body (with blue tops) ... AND the 2004 TCU that I had procured to use in my SL55 had come from (was coded for) a 2004+ E55 (different rear gear)... SO, (IIRC) the coding change was required to set the correct rear end ratio.
NOW, reading my post from 10 years ago, it does look like I might have been suggesting that the coding change might have changed the shifting characteristics .... BUT it is (and was) clear to me that any change (to the shifting characteristics) would have been because of the switch to the worked-over 2004 VB with bluetops .... SO, not sure why I was not more clear about that. The only tangible change that came from the newer TCU was that it supported the newer VB (which Mercedes seemed to imply was critical .... but I am not so sure) AND it allowed the paddle shifters to work in ALL modes (not just "M" ).

Hope that clears that up a bit.
Chris
Yup, clears it up! Some interesting findings I had after putting blue tops in my car that came with browns:
Drove around for 30 mins and honestly hated how the downshifts felt at low speeds. Felt like the car was trying to throw me through the windshield. I went ahead and changed the hydraulic variant byte in the SCN code of my car and now the car shifts EXTREMELY smooth. Not quite as fun driving, but more comfortable. Confirmed my suspicions that the hydraulic byte does actually change the way the car shifts...