SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Excessive camber after fitting lowering links

Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 '03
Excessive camber after fitting lowering links

To all of you who have lowered your cars - what sort of camber do you have? I've been for a 4 wheel alignment today and they couldn't reduce the neg camber lower than 2 1/2 degrees front. Rear is very similar but they said it can't be adjusted. Clearly that's going to wear the inner edges of the tyres so what can I do about it?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S6 LP640 E500
http://mbartsperformance.com/MBA-230-ARCA.html
Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 PM

SL55 AMG EC Stage 5 Beast / ESS S/C E92 M3
I have links & my car is at the shop right now getting both the MB Arts rear camber arms & toe links... should have plenty of adjustment by the looks of them & these parts are top quality
Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
There is also a camber bolt kit you can purchase from your local friendly dealer.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:26 PM

W124 E500 (RIP), W211 E350 (Sold), R230 SL55 (Current)
part # by any chance?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:11 PM

Raffi - Get the MB Arts, contact Jay, & ask for the "Upgraded" parts
Old 06-27-2013, 10:14 PM

W124 E500 (RIP), W211 E350 (Sold), R230 SL55 (Current)
Hah, Rick, I don't know if my wallet is ready to part out $650 for some suspension parts!!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by RaFFi ///AMG
Hah, Rick, I don't know if my wallet is ready to part out $650 for some suspension parts!!
And I am sure the MB dealer parts are cheaper I got the camber arms & toe links & $650 won't get both... I hear you though & install ain't a walk in the park on the camber arms either I don't care though in the long run I think they will be a good investment
Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by RAWAMG
And I am sure the MB dealer parts are cheaper I got the camber arms & toe links & $650 won't get both... I hear you though & install ain't a walk in the park on the camber arms either I don't care though in the long run I think they will be a good investment
If i recall correctly last time I saw those sold they were $25 or less per corner. Don't have part numbers. Go to the service desk and ask. They will know.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
are those just milled blocks of aluminum with fittings on the end?
Old 06-28-2013, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by B-tsai
are those just milled blocks of aluminum with fittings on the end?
Camber Arms = Yes

Originally Posted by alx
If i recall correctly last time I saw those sold they were $25 or less per corner. Don't have part numbers. Go to the service desk and ask. They will know.
You could be right ALX... I was just running my mouth & don't really know
Old 06-28-2013, 10:23 AM

various
Your other option is to fit a K-Mac camber and toe adjuster kit...

These afford you a greater range of adjustability, and that's an adjustability that's achieved with the suspension under load so it can be applied precisely. It's not just a 2-position fitment but it enables you to get exactly the settings you require.

http://www.k-mac.com/pages/newprods/...ercedes_04.htm
Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by alx
There is also a camber bolt kit you can purchase from your local friendly dealer.
The alignment guy at my local MB dealer says those are only good for *maybe* 1 degree...
Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 AM

'03 SL55. Wife drives '06 SL500 and Range Rover Evoque
Originally Posted by K-MacSuspension
Your other option is to fit a K-Mac camber and toe adjuster kit...

These afford you a greater range of adjustability, and that's an adjustability that's achieved with the suspension under load so it can be applied precisely. It's not just a 2-position fitment but it enables you to get exactly the settings you require.

http://www.k-mac.com/pages/newprods/...ercedes_04.htm
LOL these Suck! Avoid these like the plague! I've had both front and rear. The rears are noisy beyond belief after just one month, and oh, btw, did I mention the $$$$ to get them installed? Pure junk. My mechanic could not believe I wanted to do this to my car, and was NOT a fan. Oh, and their rear toe bushings will loosing up if not torqued beyond what most alignment shops torque them to (=Squirrely acceleration) Scary on the freeway!

The fronts are no better. The "D" shaped bolts and counter parts are not "D" shaped enough. One of my torque arms needed to be replaced, and the "D" bolt would not come out and had to be cut out because it spun inside the bushing, it was jammed that bad! Again, $$$$$.... Long story short, Now I have MBarts rear camber bars, (still a little squeak when going over speed bumps) and my mechanic approves...want to know more? Cuz there's more, just ask me. Sorry, I can hardly talk about it any more.....
Old 07-01-2013, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by CHP_H8_ME
LOL these Suck! Avoid these like the plague! I've had both front and rear. The rears are noisy beyond belief after just one month, and oh, btw, did I mention the $$$$ to get them installed? Pure junk. My mechanic could not believe I wanted to do this to my car, and was NOT a fan. Oh, and their rear toe bushings will loosing up if not torqued beyond what most alignment shops torque them to (=Squirrely acceleration) Scary on the freeway!

The fronts are no better. The "D" shaped bolts and counter parts are not "D" shaped enough. One of my torque arms needed to be replaced, and the "D" bolt would not come out and had to be cut out because it spun inside the bushing, it was jammed that bad! Again, $$$$$.... Long story short, Now I have MBarts rear camber bars, (still a little squeak when going over speed bumps) and my mechanic approves...want to know more? Cuz there's more, just ask me. Sorry, I can hardly talk about it any more.....
I just installed MBArts rear camber arms & toe links... other than having to drop the sub to install the camber arms what more to you have?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 03 e46 M3 (sold), 05 E55 (build is on), 03 Escalade (going to sell)
I just installed MBArts rear camber arms & toe links... other than having to drop the sub to install the camber arms what more to you have?
Hey Rick- how do you like it after having them installed? Just wanted to get your review. Mine will be installed soon.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:36 AM

Suspension wise or what?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:07 AM

Now I have MBarts rear camber bars, (still a little squeak when going over speed bumps) and my mechanic approves...want to know more? Cuz there's more.....
Suspension wise or what?
Yes... what is the want to know more?

Originally Posted by pas6201
Hey Rick- how do you like it after having them installed? Just wanted to get your review. Mine will be installed soon.
I will get back to you Paul... installed but not yet home... several things being done to it.

Here is a pic of both the camber arms & toe links installed on one side:

Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
RE: CHP_H8_ME - Comment

Twenty years of these K-MAC Designed front & rear adjuster kits, demonstrate the only way there is noise or jamming is if the bolts are not fully tightened.

It's elementary with any suspension component, there will be movement, noise and wear, under break and acceleration.

At K-MAC we were the first aftermarket company, with front and rear adjuster kits, too suite Mercedes Benz models. Manufacturers of the world’s largest range of kits, Audi - Volvo. We pride ourselves being at the forefront in ongoing product development.

Last edited by K-Mac; 07-02-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by K-Mac
RE: CHP_H8_ME - Comment

Twenty years of these K-MAC Designed front & rear adjuster kits, demonstrate the only way there is noise or jamming is if the bolts are not fully tightened.

It's elementary with any suspension component, there will be movement, noise and wear, under break and acceleration.

At K-MAC we were the first aftermarket company, with front and rear adjuster kits, too suite Mercedes Benz models. Manufacturers of the world’s largest range of kits, Audi - Volvo. We pride ourselves being at the forefront in ongoing product development.
Sure, all this may be fine for low HP cars and trucks, but I cant remember how many times the rear toe adjusters came loose. Seems you need to torque these to near the breaking point.

The front bushing urethane "cups" are a joke. They need to have at least two "pins" to keep them in place, not one. The torque required to adjust them (being so large) makes the shallow "D" bolt spin and seize inside it making it impossible to remove without cutting them out. Way to much trauma on my expensive AMG aluminum sub frame.

Am I alone here, any other members even have these installed??
Old 07-05-2013, 10:56 PM

What more can be done? Lowering links, MBArts rear camber bars, and K-MAC rear toe bushings + K-MAC front. Just an expensive nightmare from day one...sigh, only to lower it a little...sigh
Old 07-06-2013, 09:38 AM

What more can be done? Lowering links, MBArts rear camber bars, and K-MAC rear toe bushings + K-MAC front. Just an expensive nightmare from day one...sigh, only to lower it a little...sigh
I just thought you were about to say something about the MBA stuff... I have lowering Links, MBA rear camber arms, MBA rear toe links, and car is sitting pretty & has no squeaks or creaks & the alignment is fine. I may need to do something on the front but for now it seems fine.

I don't and I don't know of any SL guys that do but there are plenty of E55 guess with them. I have no opinion either way but don't think I will need them.

Last edited by RAWAMG; 07-07-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Sure, all this may be fine for low HP cars and trucks, but I cant remember how many times the rear toe adjusters came loose. Seems you need to torque these to near the breaking point.

The front bushing urethane "cups" are a joke. They need to have at least two "pins" to keep them in place, not one. The torque required to adjust them (being so large) makes the shallow "D" bolt spin and seize inside it making it impossible to remove without cutting them out. Way to much trauma on my expensive AMG aluminum sub frame.

As explained any loose suspension bolts will cause problems.

These K-MAC front kits are exact same patented design as used on current G8 versus Ford race series. After 18 months comparison of all brands, race scrutineers ruled for safety and reliability these heavy V8’s in all out competition racing only K-MAC front Camber and Caster adjuster kits would be allowed to be used.

Same with the K-MAC rear Camber and Toe adjuster kits. 20 years of manufacture has proven their reliability but again bolts being tight and in the case of the rear mounted Toe arm on the W211 series K-MAC bush is offset effectively doubling the existing adjustment range. They suffer from excess Toe in and it is important offset is mounted fully out eliminating any side loads and thereby ensuring proper tightening. The existing OEM inner adjuster being used for actual Toe adjustments.

K-MAC is only company to produce precise/accurate front adjuster kits to suit all model Mercedes 1968 up. Not available on OEM since the W201 of the early 90's. Current OEM offset bolts can be fitted but they are inaccurate having one setting and only half the adjustment of K-MAC kits.

Front kits resolve premature inner edge wear tire (or allow extra negative Camber on race days) along with improved braking and steering response. Rear kits also provide Camber adjustment for the first time to improve traction and inner edge wear, with extra Toe adjustment to compensate for the new Camber facility.

AMONGST THE MANY K-MAC FEATURES, TWO VERY IMPORTANT ARE:

1. K-MAC kits are designed to adjust lower, not upper arms, effectively maintaining clearance top of tire to outer fender when wanting to reduce inner edge tire wear. Essential if wide custom wheels, wide profile tires fitted.

2. We have ensured that K-MAC kits unlike virtually all other brands do not use solid, metal to metal spherical bearings that besides ride harshness anyone in motor sport know they prematurely pound out.
Instead all K-MAC patented design bushings are Silastic. Allowing 2 axis movement yet eliminating the air voids and/or fluid of OEM bushes. Result is full adjustment capability, improved steering, traction and braking response with extended wear life and no unforgiving metal to metal contact of spherical bearings.

Last edited by K-Mac; 07-07-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Seems a better marketing effort would be to address CHP_H8_ME's issues instead of just restating the benefits of the product. Better to help an unsatified customer be satisfied so they become a testimonial of the quality and service than it is to ignore them and hope they go away. You may have the best products in the world but I'm not likely to buy knowing that if I have similar issues, it will be difficult to get corrected.